Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Westport

A/C problem

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by thatcher, Jul 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. thatcher

thatcher Member

Hello everyone - I have a cruiseair chilled water system on my boat. 2 chillers. lately it has been drawing a lot more amps than before. where should I begin. strainer is clean and the output flow seems normal.
    chris
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Do you mean the running current is higher or the system runs longer?

If the running current is higher than normal something is causing it to draw more current (amps). This could simply be the system working harder as the weather you are in causes more load to be applied to achieve the desired pressures and temperatures.

It could also indicate a pump or something else that's running current adds to the total on the meter on the way out.

Longer running times could simply indicate a longer time running to achieve the desired result or may indicate a fouled condenser if everything else is clean and working well and it cant get down to temp.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your running both chillers? Are both chillers usually on line?
    How is your circulated water level and pressure?
    Your in the islands and it's hot, do both chillers usually run or staged?
    While it's hot, all the evap station fans are on full, yep drawing more juice.
    You could cycle one chiller off at a time and watch your amp meter, that MAY help determine if a compressor is about to go out.
    Do you have a high pressure gage on the compressors? Reading? close between the two?

If you still in Nassau, be careful who you call in. When your ready, maybe someone on YF can point you toward a safe tech.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Let me mention a simple thing that K1W1 touched on. Are your filters and sea strainers clean? They'll work harder if the water or air flow is blocked.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How is the voltage off the dock?

A Voltage drop will cause an increase in amps.
  6. thatcher

thatcher Member

ac

I checked my pedisdal and its at 250V The power company is looking into overvoltage. In the past I have had no problem running both chillers at the same time, but now I have staged them, and now my amperage is down. Now i'll look to see how each chiller is running independently.