Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger

16 Lifeline GPL-4C Batteries, replace 1 or all?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by UNLEASHED, Jul 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

I have 16 Lifeline GPL-4C batteries on my 2004 Viking 48 convertible. These are 6 volt AGM batteries. One battery is a problem and it is causing problems with the charging system, Believe the batteries are about 4 years old.

Can I just replace the bad one or is necessary to replace all of them at the same time?? Bib $$$$ question.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

four years old I'd replace all.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

,punk

You have to ask the question;
    Flooded batteries usually last 2 to 5 years, AGMs are suppose to last longer, say 4 to 6+ years. But your in a boat, anything can happen is this hard environment,
    ,, So, Do you feel lucky???

If I had the bux, swap them all is smarter, and , go back to flooded wet cells. In my years on boats, AGMs have not proved them selves for the money, IMO..
    I love to sell them when specified, but with flooded (8) 8 volt 19", (2) 12 volt 8Ds, (4) 12 volt 31s on our ole Bert on over 4-5 (some over 7) year cycle per battery I can not see AGMs for us. I check all banks about twice a year. pour in them all about 2 gallons of distilled water. Clean some connections and wash the battery box wells. My batteries are happy. Yep, I feel lucky..

Others may argue, but it's your bux.
    ,rc
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

High quality wet cell deep cycle batteries properly maintained and recharged can last upwards of 10 years. Or more in some cases.

As expensive as those Lifelines are, I'd be tempted to test the rest of the batteries and if they test good I'd just replace the one.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lifelines are supposed to go a long time, and have a 7 year warranty don't they? HOwever if one died, I'd be inclined to replace all of them, or at the very least the entire bank that the bad battery was on. As for someone saying AGM's go longer than lead acid, I have not seen that by much on most brands. I've replaced many AGMs that are 3 years old. Good gel batteries, on the other hand, I've seen go 7-10+ years many times.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Same here, I haven't seen any significant difference in longevity between AGM and LA. AGM have other benefits but in many cases LA are a better option

One out of 16? 1 d be tempted to replace just the bad one if all the others are good. If you get another year out of the bank it s worth the gamble of one battery Make sure the other 15 are good, no sign of bulging, staying cool, etc. also, take into consideration not just the age but the number of cycles and whether they have been deeply discharged one time too many.
  7. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

Replace all 16

Finally tracked down the company which installed the LifeLine batteries and it turns out it was July 05 at which time the boat was only one year old. I never would have guessed the batteries are 8 years old. The original owner had added a lot of electronics at the time and upgraded the batteries, added an inverter etc.

So, I'm replacing all 16 which will also give me high confidence for my adventure to Central America.

Thanks to all for the good input!!!!