Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Old window glass, looking for new technology

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Jul 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

After 35 years, the windows on our old Bertram is showing it's wear. Vertical etches are on all the exposed sides of all of the windows. Mother Nature (and pollution) is winning.

Rain-X helps a little but it's a lost cause from the first application.

So, You all ready know I'm on a South Georgia budget and can not replace all this glass. Has time and technology come up with anything to help. Some kind of real polish/filler/sealer that works?

Thx,
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rub the etching out with Whink (in a brown bottle), put it wet wet on a small cotton rag and rub a 1' area in a circular motion until etching dissappears, wipe it off of the window while it is still wet. Do not use it in direct sunlight or if it's really hot out. Rain-x afterwards.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Once they get that bad polishing them out is your best bet. Either by you or professionally.
  4. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

Also wear gloves, hydrofluoric acid is not a dietary supplement.

The active ingredient in most stain removers for use on glass is hydrofluoric acid. IN rust removers too. Not necessarily in an outright dangerous concentration as long as we talk about household products but certainly not healthy either. Esp. if you have to treat larger areas.

OTOH the stuff you can buy for professional use is higher concentrated and can be outright dangerous. In that case you want to take a closer look at the MSDS to wear the appropriate safety equipment. Which also means to take a closer look at the gear. For example gloves come in several different variations, depending on the chemical they have different protection times.

I don't know about the situation in the US but over here professional safety gear can be astoundingly cheap if bought from online suppliers instead at the DIY stores. In fact properly rated gloves (greetings from OSHA) are cheaper than brand name dish washing gloves at the supermarket...
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

These are not stains. Not a build up. These are physical pits and damage in the glass surface. I was hoping to find a Rain-X big brother that would fill in these pits.
  6. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

For a good polishing you can use Venco Marine products (vencomarine dot com.) The problem with RainX is that it is a silicone based product and only lasts for 2-3 months. The problem with silicone based products are that if you dont get all the silicone off properly you create a build up of silicone on the glass. With time you will see that your vision is not very clear. With mechanical cleaning you remove not just the silicone but all the contamination in the glass. Regarding pits there is not much you can do unless you use the car windscreen systems where they fill it with a clear resin.

With Silicone and Polymer products you only have about 4 months. Venco is a polymer based product. The mechanical cleaning is the most important part before applying any water repellent product.

There are 2 part products available where you use a acid wash. Be very careful as i had a few boats where the crew did a acid wash and did not rinse the glass properly and when they put the 2nd part on it trapped some of the acid below creating an orange peal affect and once that happens you will have a bigger problem.

good luck
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Look into commercial glass polishing products that include a buffing wheel and various grits of cerium oxide or diamond grit.

There is no magic sauce that will repair mechanical damage by disguising it.
  8. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

You are correct Marmot, there are several diamond buffing wheels and it works very well with minor scratches and very shallow pitting. I used a microscope to look into the glass to see how deep the scratch or pit is before even attempting to repair it. If it was to deep i wouldn't even attempt it.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

An ounce of protection

To the boat washers out there, Brushes don't belong on glass or isinglass. They should get cleaned with soft materials, polished and coated from new.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Replacing or polishing and then sealing are your only options if they are that bad. Maybe test polish one of the worst windows just to see if polishing them all is worth it.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have owned this ole Bert for around 9 years now. Bertram delivered her new to Venezuela and there she sat for near 25 years. This is all original, sun baked & salt fried glass. Rain-X helps hide the easily visible etches for around a month and then we re-apply. I'm also lazy so it does not happen every month. Just finished 2 days of throughly washing her after 3 weeks in the islands and the windows were staring me down. Prompting me to ask about any new products out there.
    We'll be in some shade in a few hours and I'll start again with the old Rain-X stuff again.
    I'll check into that Venco stuff and give it a try this fall.

Thx,
    RC
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I used a glass polishing product by IMAR, by hand and was pretty impressed at how it took out very minor scratches and stuff.....IMAR Professional Grade Glass Polish #1001.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

14. Blackwater18

Blackwater18 New Member

Removal of water spotting

On most spots on glass we used a polishing wheel with a foam pad worked great just messy. Tried a product on an old 1982 sea ray with real bad spotting and came out great and then protected with a sealant. Try sea clear solutions. There is a video you can watch. A buddy of mine used it on his 85 Hargrave and came out perfect. Hope this helps.