Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

Sea-Fire ESRS Mark V unit 24v

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Jul 6, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

On my previous post regarding my gen that will only run for a second I believe the SeaFire unit has shutoff the fuel solenoid or has a internal malfunction that is causing the gen to not run. When I reset the circuit breaker back and forth in the salon I am getting a thump noise in the SeaFire unit. I have the wiring diagram of the SeaFire unit and have tried to disconnect the unit with no success. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Sofia259 likes this.
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

It would be a great help if you posted the wiring diagram.

Solenoids usually have 2 ways to fail. The valve gets stuck in one position or the coil shorts out.

Solenoids come is 2 basic configurations , normally open(N/O) & normally closed(N/C)

I would guess without seeing the wiring diagram your solenoid is N/C. It take power to hold it open,24 volts per your post. No power, it closes. So it can't just be disconnected.

So first check if you have 24 volts at the windings (magnetic coil) . Then set your meter to ohms and see if you have continuity through the coil. This is to check for a short in the windings.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

It sounds like the solenoid for the SeaFire is operating. Without knowing whether it is normally open or closed it's hard to tell if it is operating correctly.

Call Seafire. Is there an over ride switch for the SeaFire?
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Will call SeaFire tomorrow. Would love to post picture of wiring diagram but lucky to get this posted. Internet service and wifi are very poor. In all my checking I have found one of the two batteries that start the gen (24v) still show voltage 13volts each but the terminal post is turning on one of the batteries. I wondering if this could possibly be the problem.
    Skip
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Remove, clean, lube, replace and tighten down all the battery terminals.
  6. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

I've got a 16 year old optima in my truck that did the same thing. When it vibrated it would lose contact. My marine generator experience is limited, but a lot of generators I've messed with over the years won't run without a battery. Battery is used to control the generators electronics so surges at start up and shutdown don't cause issues. Simpler generators this probably isn't an issue. Do you have another battery to swap in and test the system? I would probably just replace it, although I repaired the one in my truck by using epoxy to hold the terminal in place. Doing fine for 3 years, but I don't think I would do that in a boat. Only did it because I wondered how long a good battery could last, and I've had it since I was 15.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Generator

Update. Tested the two relays in the control box and believe one of them is defective. It will not let power go to the fuel pump thus shutting down the generator immediately. Top relay is okay and it feeds to 2nd relay where it powers fuel pump.
    Now got to determine how to bypass it or have another one flown into Bahamas.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

If the battery post is turning ,replace the battery. Even if the internal connection is not broken yet the battery will leak around the post unless its a dry cell battery.
  9. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

A relay is nothing more than a magnetic electrical operated switch. Easy to bypass, with a couple wire nuts (unless it's a solid state relay) and as long as doing this does not affect the rest of the circuits. . There is a lot of different looking makes and models of relays than will work just fine. You just need to be sure it can handle the load and the coil voltage is the same.

I won't give specific electrical advice without seeing a wiring diagram and a picture of the relay.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One relay might be for the shutdown switch.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fire controll relay box?

Uh? The only relay should be a NC on the run solenoid.
    Two for the fuel pump confuses me. Just tie the NC wires together and the relay (solid state on the newer units) is bypassed.

You still in the Bahamas? Saw a Cabo just north of the draw bridge Saturday and thought it could be you. Were just back from Taloo. Winds die down yet?
    ,rc
  12. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yep still here. Weather hasn't improved and now we have the TS coming this way. Worst weather year we have spent here ever. Out of 2 months fished just 5 times.
    Skip