Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Timers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Jun 8, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

On the Hat I'm running we have 8-92TIs. In each engine room there is a timer that appears to feed block heaters, but we also have block heater switches up at the helm. I asked our yard manager (who claims to know Hats) 4 times about this and he kept saying he'd get the answer, but never has. Can anybody with an older Hat enlighten me as to the purpose of these timers? The timers are mounted on the wall next to the light/blower switches.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I have seen older style battery chargers wired through timers on boats that are left in storage for extended periods.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have also, but that is definitely not this. One lead is going to a plug (bolt) on the exhaust manifold. Not sure about the other, but I suspect to the block. What really throws me is that they appear to be fairly new. My best guess is block heaters, but that just doesn't make sense with the switches at the helm. I'm sort of wondering if this, despite looking fairly new, might have been the original block heater situation on these boats and maybe a prior owner added the helm switches.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I'm thinking they are there to override the thermostats, main purpose would then be for energy conservation. Are they 7 day timers or just 24hour. People do the same thing to pool pumps. They turn them off with timers for certain periods of the day.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe they're up to 90 or 100 minutes. They're not programable but simply an egg timer, count down type.
    One thing I've noticed about this boat is that when old equipment was replaced, the old was seldom removed. This may be such a case.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just got the answer from the former owner. Not timers, but temperature controls. Cool setup.

"They are thermostats for the block heaters. You select the temperature below which you want the block heaters to come on. However, you also have the control in the pilothouse. When the three position toggle for each is in the thermostat on mode, the block heaters are controlled by the setting you select on the thermostat on the wall in each ER as stated above. When the three position toggle is in the block heater on mode, it overrides the thermostat setting and turns on the block heaters. When the three position toggle is in the middle, neither the thermostat nor the manual override controls the block heaters -- they remain off at all temperatures. "
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Simply put- Off, Auto and Manual operation is possible with the arrangement.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep. Nice system to have though when the boat may be left somewhere cold and occasionally used. Still remember a boat I was asked to move on a 0* January day that had no block heaters, and that BOOM that I never want to hear again.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You will find some engines will not be easy to start if not warm enough no matter the outside temp. On the bigger boats we use them on the M.E's and Gens plus L.O. priming pumps on the M.E's.