Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

Antifouling Technology, based on Shark's Skin

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jun 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I mentioned this over on another subject thread, but got very little responce. Hopefully the pleasure boater will benefit from this technology real soon?

Sharklet? Marine | Sharklet
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

A couple of sailboat racers at our marina have talked about this technology. Funny, I alway thought the closer you could get your bottom to a mirror finish the slipperier it got. I remember looking the other way when they first painted my nice, smooth gelcoat bottom. Nature knew different, apparently....
  3. brian eiland

4. brian eiland

BTW Beau, its slicker than you think,

"Sharklet is a microscopic pattern. You cannot feel it or see the details of the pattern with the naked eye, but the pattern will exhibit a slight but visible holographic effect. Each Sharklet diamond measures nearly 25 microns across (about 1/5th the thickness of a human hair) and nearly 3 microns deep. Each Sharklet contains seven ribs of varying length."
  5. brian eiland

BF Goodrich NoFoul

...from a posting I made a number of years ago,...about a product I became aware of a LONG time ago ( I actually considered getting involved with the application of this new product to the commercial & pleasure boating market)

6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Brian

I've heard that. Apparently because it is NOT perfectly smooth, but rather is layered to the rear like a shark's dentrils, the coefficient of friction is greatly reduced - or something like that?
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

That's "dentricles" not "dentrils"....