Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Paint Prep

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Wireless, Apr 8, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Wireless

Wireless Senior Member

I've just stripped the clearcoat and topcoat from a mid size sailboat and am ready to apply 545 epoxy primer. Now I've turned my attention to the deck and cabin. The boat was painted at least twice in its history, once professionally and once by an owner, using a one part and apparently, a mop.

I've managed to strip the flats using first a grinder with strippit pads and then starting with 40 on the RO to get rid on most of the abuse caused by the grinder. There is not toooo much filling and fairing required. I need advise on the detail and curved work, of which there is quite a lot considering the bulwarks, scuppers, cockpit et al.

I've tried Interstrip, Aircraft Stripper (which softened the gelcoat), high-end 40 Grit on a block, a propane torch (which softened the gelcoat), cursing and have had no luck. The paint (especially the thick one-part) is extremely hard to remove.

Any real world advice?
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. :D

With the Interstrip, if you lay it on quite thick, cover it with a film to keep it moist. You know that extra thick Saran Wrap they put around shipping pallets, that's perfect for the job. You should be able to find it on island.

While the stripper is still moist, it will lift the paint easily off, it works great on antifouling too.
  3. Wireless

Wireless Senior Member

Thanks Fishtigua

I'll give the Interstrip another try. I had some old stuff in an open can that didn't make a dent but maybe new stuff, applied thicker and longer might be worth a try.
    Currently in the nether regions of Eastern Canada so availability is an issue but on the positive side evaporation is not...

Wireless,
    out