Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Installing impellers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 3 Ray, Apr 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 3 Ray

3 Ray New Member

Anybody know any tricks for compressing the impeller fins so they will slip into the casing. Trying to install new sea water pump impellers on Mercruiser 454's the pumps have been removed from the engines. I was thinking of compressing them with a hose clamp but don't want to damage them in the process. I am also using Quicksilver Special Lubricant 101 to lubricate the fins and housing hopefully that is not a problem? Any advise will be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

The Quiksilver Lubricant works well, and so does any White Lithium Grease, if you can get a couple of the fins in and pointed in the direction of travel, you can usually spin the impeller itself in that direction while pushing it in, and it always works. Good Luck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually it's not a problem on small impellors like that. I've rarely compressed them with a cable tie (near the outside end) and slid them in, but usually I'll rotate the impellor until the fins are slightly in the housing, then lineup the keyway and slide it all of the way in and not use anything but my hand.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

the cable tie method works well for me,

also, you can use dishwashing soap if you don't have grease.

The grease and/or soap helps it slip in but also helps when the impeller from destructing when it runs dry for a few revs until it primes.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I use liquid soap, some greases can supposedly damage the rubber

I ve never had much luck with zip ties on big impellers as one side needs more compression than the other I prefer doing it manually by rotating it is the vanes bend in as captJ described
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I prefer light grease because it helps removing it next time as some stays between the shaft and impellor. Also, if you use grease you don't have to start it right away (although it's preferable), if the boat isn't in the water or etc. But either works....
  7. 3 Ray

3 Ray New Member

Impellers

Thanks to all, just happened to have some zip ties and they worked great, got them both installed in about 5 minutes. Spent about 20 minutes last night trying to put one in by hand before I gave up.
    Mike