Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Cross

issues with volvo tamd 74 edc

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by stinkpotter, Mar 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. stinkpotter

stinkpotter New Member

Have twin six cylinder volvos with approx 700 hrs ... Having starting problems with the edc pre start on the helm .. the nuetral , diagnosis, live station control works inconsistantly . Also thinking I have a blown head gasket as my oil level is too high and my coolant has droplets of oil in it . Any one else out there had these problems with these mains ?
    Thanks,
  2. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

I have the same engines and ran into the issues with the EDC units and it working sporatically, shifting from neutral to forward, rpm's jumping, etc. The issue is with a bad wiring harness from the engine to the EDC computer and to the helm unit. There was a recall in 2003 or 2004 for this issue and I believe Volvo is still honoring it. Once I got mine done, I have not had a single issue.

In regards to the 2nd issue, these engines don't have a history of issues like that and it may be more related to maintence.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As we have responded in many threads with similar issues. Check all connects, check them again. Contact the area factory rep and check any electrical connection, maybe again while checking all VB+ levels.

There is a good hint in these comments somewhere.

Fuel in the sump? Another problem. Any additional info you can share? Compression or leak-down results? Case blow-by? History of overheating? Hours?

,rc
  4. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

I bought a F/B boat 3 months ago with TAMD-74P-A Volvo's
    Lost RPM's after we started using it. 2600, then 2500, then 2400 at wot.
    After a few hours of operation the motors started sooting up the back of the boat top to bottom
    Replaced all fuel filters 3 times
    replaced waste gates, both
    replaced both boost sensors
    bottom and props are squeeky clean
    sooting got worse but got back to 2500
    Volvo tech comes for a test run with his computer hooked up. He first re calibrates the controls, after which we lost the port engine controls on the F/B. Lower helm works but not the F/B like it is stuck in diagnostic mode.
    I declined the sea trial. He could not get my controls back which have been working perfectly till he started f*** with them.
    I decided to have the boat awlgripped grey
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don't blame the engines per se.

Blame the supposed tech who played with himself and them first.