Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Glendinning

Changing from Canvas to Glass windshield

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by jhall767, Mar 14, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I have a 44' Striker Sportfish. My canvas/plastic enclosures need to be replaced. I'm thinking of changing out the forward facing panels to regular windows. Right now the boat has a low windscreen with plastic enclosures going to the hardtop. I'd remove the low windscreen completely. The only thing it seems to do is put a horizontal bar right in your line of sight to watch for crab pots on the water. The new windshields would be about 45" in height 30" wide. Bridge is aluminum and hardtop is aluminum so not hard to mount. I'm tired of looking through the "clear" plastic on a rainy day. I could put windshield wipers on real windows.

From what I've been told having actual glass in there wouldn't cost more than Ez2Cy or similar. Any recommendations on window manufacturers? Any negatives please PM me if you feel you can't post it publicly.

What do you think? Crazy or good idea?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How is the additional weight of the toughened glass and supporting hardware / equipment going to affect the handling of the yacht?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aside from the additional weight, how is it going to effect the looks? I've seen more than a few SF where they converted them to glass windows on the bridge, and they just didn't look right.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Jhall

Do you have ez2cy or a carbonite in there now? My carbonites are pretty clear in the rain as long as they are clean. If you don't, you might want to do just the center panel as a test
  5. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Some of our local curtain/canvas shops have found alternative sources for clear acrylic that is MUCH less expensive than the EZ2CY product and appears to share the same characteristics. Granted there are plenty of enclosed bridge SF's running around but I'd be worried about shattering the glass panels if you ever were pushing that battleship to her limits.
  6. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Its about 30 sq feet. Probably an additional 120 lbs or so in 1/4" tempered/laminated glass. I'm planning on scaling back the 8D battery that's up there so really shouldn't change too much in weight. I'm somewhat worried about the looks but I was considering EC2CY or similar panels in the same configuration so I guess the style factor would be about the same.

I'm not worried about shattering or breaking the glass from water pressure. If I ever got caught out in seas like that (40'?) I'm pretty sure the canvas enclosure wouldn't survive it either.

Attached Files:

7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've got 3 flat panels on the bridge topped by 3 flat panels on the glass frame How do you plan to eliminate the bars between panels no matter what you use unless you build a new curved frame on top of your glass. EZ2CY could eliminate the canvas around the roll ups, but I think you're stuck with two frames of some type no matter what you do. I wouldn't go with glass as you'll probably roast in there on hot days without any air flow. With EZ2CY you'll be able to open the P & S front panels or the middle one, but I can't see any way to open all three as it doesn't bend.
    One big plus to the isinglass you're currently using is that you can open it a few inches to allow airflow on hot rainy days. Sometimes it's better to go for functionality rather than esthetics.
  8. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Good points. The lower glass will all be removed. The vertical bars would stay. No horizontals. There are no curves to worry about. Top and bottom mounting rails will be parallel. I'd leave the center panel fixed. The sides could either have top vents (12" or so) , upper 12" vertical slider or the entire window would hinge at the top and open out at the bottom. This would be similar to the windshields on many boats with lower helms. Actually the same design as my boat originally had for the salon. Even opening them 6" would funnel a tremendous amount of air to the bridge. The sides would remain isinglass.

I may end up taking everything off and mocking up the frames to see what it will look like and how it will work.

You are right about the EZ2CY. There is not enough room to open the EZ2CY panels all the way unless you hinged them on the side and then it would be all or nothing.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whichever way you go please remember to post pics of the finished project. Always loved the Striker look. This could be interesting.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

With the lines on your boat and the size of the flybridge, it just won't look right. There isn't enough rake to get any kind of angle on the glass.
  11. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The older 44 Henriques has a nice looking Flybridge with a solid windshield and open back
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Just as an FYI, they make a glass panel insert with an electric wiper mounted on it that you put into a soft or acrylic panel so you can see in the rain or heavy spray. I have run a couple boats with them and they work well.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Capt. Bill, That's very interesting. Do you happen to have any pics of that or a link?
    Capt J, Must admit that was my first thought but you never know with the squared lines of a Striker. We've gotten used to the raked look, but there are advantages to the straight and especially the reversed rake windshileds. They shed water better, don't get as much reflection and don't cook the inside like a magnifying glass. There's lots of possibilities that won't seem good on first thought, but may come out looking and working very well. I look forward to seeing what the OP comes up with.
  14. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I definitely prefer a reverse rake but I don't want to end up on the worst looking boats thread:eek:
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

My set up is similar, and works very well. The middle panel can be unzipped its entire length at the bottom and sides. i can open just the bottom which offers a nice air flow when running. Similarly I have an "eyebrow" zipper about 30 inch long sewn in horizontally at the top of each of the other front panels that also can be opened to allow more airflow. Mine are sewn into a canvas panel that exists between the hardtop and the clear. This set up let's me adjust things in heavy rain very nicely to get an air flow but stay dry.
  16. Capt Bill11

17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks Bill. It's a matter of taste I guess, but I really don't like the look of that at all. Seems the only purpose would be to use a wiper, and I'm not a big user of wipers.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run a boat that has had it. They work well and can be rain-x ed......
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Understand, just prefer the look of all glass or all plastic (well polished).
  20. Capt Bill11

I don't disagree on the ascetics of it. But I can live with that whens its raining and I can't see s&!t out of a soft plastic enclosure. :D