Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Pod Drives

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Moviemadel, Mar 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Moviemadel

Moviemadel New Member

I'm interested in people's experience with the Volvo IPS and ZF Pod drive systems specifically in comparing their respective vulnerability to fouling. It intuitively seems to me that the forward skeg of the ZF system must make it less prone to fouling compared to the props forward configuration of the IPS.

Also does anyone know if rope cutters can be fitted with either/both?

Pods appear a no brainer due to their efficiency gains, reduced space and claimed marina manoeuvring so why are the builders still offering shaft drives - whats the catch? Cost, u/w maintenance?
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The reason manufacturers are still offering shaft drives is cost and reliability. They cost far less and require far less maintenance. Repairs are also considerably more costly with pods, and you have far more mechanics and yards qualified to work on shafts. Like anything else, you pay a price for convenience. Pods are moving more and more into the mainstream though, and they're a pleasure to use, especially in a tight docking situation.
    Most of my experience is with IPS. So I can't really comment on which is better. I'll only say that I've had no problems, and been very satisfied with IPS.
  4. Moviemadel

Moviemadel New Member

Thanks guys for your input. No surprises in the answers but I think on balance for the occasional skipper, the reduced stress in close quarters manoeuvring probably makes the decision for me. Many thanks.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Pods do have their purpose. I prefer the Zues pods of the bunch. With the rear facing propellors, most of the stuff gets bumped off from the unit before it gets to the props if it does. As for fouling, all pods are less prone to catching floating ropes and such compared to shafts to begin with due to the way they're mounted in the hull (height above the V etc) and the smaller props that they have.

Marine fouling or growth, makes a much larger difference in efficiency on the pods over traditional props/shafts
  6. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I have put 400 hours on our IPS 500 powered Tiara over the last 2 seasons. It has been trouble free with the exception of a small bend in one of the propellers from a submerged log. I'm not sure if the result would have been any different with Zeus etc.

I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time running a zeus powered 45' boat as well. In my opinion, there are pluses and minuses to both. I like that the Zeus joystick is engaged all of the time when the boat is in neutral. With the IPS you have to push the button and there is a small delay which you have to allow for. Secondly my IPS boat will make nearly .5kt in neutral due to all of the exhaust exiting through the pods. Not a bid deal but if you're single handing the boat bow in its something to be aware of. The IPS system seems to be more efficient and faster to plane. This is likely due to the pulling and clean water of forward facing propellers.

Lastly, Volvo does make a line cutters for the IPS System. It is Part #21686492. I have not used this and cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Max
  7. wickie

wickie New Member

Attached Files: