Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Bow Fitting

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by franzmerenda, Feb 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

Hi, Everybody.
    I'm seeing on several Custom Sportfish a retrieval bow fitting when there's no bow pulpit. Are they custom made as far as you know or is there someone manufacturing the whole system?
    Here we have Pin-Craft based in Viareggio, but they only make these systems for huge yachts.
    THX,:)
    franz
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I think I understand what system you are talking about. But could you perhaps post a picture of what you are looking for?
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The fold-out ones fitted to Wally Yachts are made in Turkey by these guys.

Boyut Marine
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Google "Anchor Rollers" and you'll find a wide variety starting at about $25 and going as expensive as you'd like.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Windline has a series of anchor rollers suitable for various type of decks, anchors etc. I ve used their products before, they stand behind them
  6. Capt Bill11

I thought of all those common mounts. But I think he might be talking about the more custom mounts where the anchor tucks up into a pocket like area just under the lip of the bow. With nothing at the stem and little or nothing showing under the lip. That is why I asked about a picture.
  7. franzmerenda

Here's a picture of the bow of a Custom Sportfish, where bow fitting with anchor, I suppose may be retrieved.

The pictures of Wally posted, show the system.
    Now the question is:
    Are they made as close system or should the parts be purchased from different Manufacturers and then assembled together?:eek:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Capt Bill11

They have ready made anchor roller systems similar to that one. But that one looks custom made or at least perhaps custom made by that builder to me.

If you know what brand that boat is and that is just what you are looking for try contacting them about it.

UMT makes custom rollers.

http://www.umtmarine.com/stainless-steel/anchor-rollers
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I tried to Google pictures of 'articulated bow roller/arms' but cannot find anything. I've seen them on high-end racing yachts and custom classic dayboats but can't recall a manufacturer.
  10. franzmerenda

Guys,

As usual I'm touched by the warm share I get here in terms of feedback.

I always wondered why Sportfish Manufacturers go for bow pulpit that, as well as bow rails to my opinion, do spoil the nice shape of these boats.
    On the other hand, we don't have reefs here in the Med, but deep vertical coastal depths.
    This means we can't even think going without an anchor roller, a windlass and some 300 feet chain.

That's why an anchor roller that can be drawn in, could be the solution.

Thanks again!
  11. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

12. Capt Bill11

That's kind of cool in theory. But in an emergency or if the system fails you're kind of screwed. Also note the wire tie or what ever it is holding the shank of the anchor in place. I wonder what's up with that?
  13. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

In an emergency, you won't need to fold the roller back, just pull the anchor up and secure those two pins you are asking about and you are ready to go, those pins unite the anchor and the roller. Many sailboats have those self-stowing anchor systems. For me, these things waste locker space! Am kinda old fashioned and like the sight of anchor and chain!

The emergency concern would be when setting the darn thing if the system fails and you have a heavy anchor! You will need good muscle power to pull and pivot the set out while watching what you are drifting towards or being pulled into!

Just a last note, this system is independent of the standard windlass, it works before and after you are done setting or retreiving the anchor.

Cheers,
  14. Capt Bill11

OK I guess you are saying the thing can be manually pulled up and folded out over the bow?
  15. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Yes, if the system is not engaged and if the operator has the power to do so!
  16. franzmerenda

We use to say:
    "Can't have wine in the barrel and drunk wife together":D