Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker

Gyro gale stabilizers?

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by Pascal, Feb 19, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Any feedback on gyro gale stabilizers? They use either 2 or 4 small fins and are pneumatic instead of hydraulic. Manufacturer claims numerous benefits with pneumatic plus some reduction in pitching with the 4 fin system
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I ran a couple of boats with them. While they worked well I did have an issue were one fins mounting tube bent for no apparent reason. I have not run a boat with their new fin design.
  3. Capt Bill11

Pascal, Did you have any specific questions about them?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Thks bill. Not really I was just trying to learn about them out of curiously at this point... They dont seem as popular as Niads... pneumatic seems simpler than hydraulic
  5. Capt Bill11

They are simpler as far as running air lines and the fact if they leak you don't have oil going every where.

But I'm not sure the old style fins where as effective at low speeds as the traditional hydraulic fins are. Now with the new style fins they have with there articulated trailing edge that may have changed.

Are you considering putting fins on Charmer?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If it was up to me, I would :). With the enclosed FB, jet ski and 15' tender up there she s a roller!
  7. Capt Bill11

I always thought it was odd that it came without them. Was it an option in those models?

It is interesting that they Gyro Gale offers zero-speed stabilization. We had that on the 140' I was engineering on for a bit and once you have it you never want to be without it.

The units I worked with were the originals which did not have that. Nor did I have the new digital controls that correct for pitch not just roll and list.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wonder... There is absolutely no room the ER to add them, the only place would be just forward of the ER in the port and stbd SR but limited room under the beds. When you figure 100k cost, it pays for many wait n see days !
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have been presented a used package of Gyro-Gale stabilizing equipment.

I have fantasized on installing stabilizers on our '78, 58' Bert MY for a long a long time.

I have witnessed it (Gyro-Gale) work on one boat years ago and was not impressed. However it was an ugly day in q/following 4' seas.
    I was delivering a Flemming a couple of months ago in similar seas and the Naiads seemed slow also. So maybe the Gales weren't to bad on my only experience with them (stern Q's sux).

I like the idea of air over oil, but can not believe that an air system can react as fast than an oil system. It's that simple theory thing ringing in the back of my head.

So, anybody have any more input on the Gyro-Gail stabilizing system?