Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Comfort Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

How wise is it to leave that big door open?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Feb 12, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This obviously much bigger than any boat I ve owned or run so may be it s perfectly fine...

But leaving such a huge garage door open in an area open to numerous wakes just doesn't seem very safe. This was on the outside of Miami beach marina facing the channel and yesterday that boat was on south side of the port of Miami which is not wake restricted. On both days I saw the door open over a long period of time with no activity seen inside

Plus the generator exhaust coming out a few feet away? Maybe hard to see on the pic but steam/exhaust could be seen in front of the opening

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It will depend what the arrgt is either side of the opening.

It might be an isolated area between bulkheads that is designed to be able to handle water in there.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If the doors on the other side are water tight, it's ok to leave it open. But, I still wouldn't think it's too wise to leave it open. If a wave rolled in there, it would still batter the toys......
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have been tied up next to this yacht at a boatshow and had to ask that the genset be switched to the other side as the fumes were being sucked straight into our AC.
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I'd guess it's a non-issue. Or the captain, and or engineer, would not allow it to be open when the toys are not being launched or retrieved.
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Assuming they are intelligent, informed and competent.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

+2 I agree wholeheartedly
  8. Capt Bill11

That should go without saying. And that is why I didn't.

Plus on a vessel that size you would hope at least one of the two is. :D
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

We all have seen some seriously dumb moves by people in a position that seriously dumb moves should not be happening now haven't we?
  10. Capt Bill11

Call me crazy but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt once they reach that level until they prove otherwise.

Not exactly sure where that hotel/condo is located in relation to any traffic that may produce any large wakes (perhaps Pascal could enlighten me). But I bet it would take a large wake to cause any flooding to be concerned with. So again I'm whiling to guess it's a non-issue where is as is.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would guess it was taken at Miami Beach Marina
  12. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

They are
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m sure it s really a non issue but seeing that big hole about a couple of feet above WL had me wonder

It was indeed MIami beach marina although the day before they were tied to the south side of dodge island, door open, in a fairly high wake area. Even there on the outside of MBM there are a few idiots that will push a good wake.

Ken, I believe you were on the inside... Heard you coming in the other day... Welcome back to Miami :)
  14. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Big holes in the hull... make me nervous can produce goosebumps or leave to hives at time... but some are immune to this affliction... !

Sort of like the "trip rail" on a J boat in a fair breeze and heavy seas...
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If that's "your" boat then I agree!

... but we only need to look at how marine incidents occur for a short time to come to a conclusion which is at odds with Capt Bill's assumptive view.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

May have already been asked. But a photo is a snap in time. How long was the door open?
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On two different days, it was open each time we passed by about an hour apart.
  18. Capt Bill11

Perhaps. But I think the odds in this case are on my side that it's OK for the door to be open under those conditions in that area. :D

Plus Ken seems to know the responsible parties involved and has no qualms about their abilities.
  19. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

It is okay

Many large yachts have similar arrangements.
    The sections forward and aft will have self closing watertight access doors on an interlock with the hull opening doors.
    It will be impossible to open the hull door(s) with the any of the watertight access doors at each end open.
    Crew will be able to move in and out of the area through the watertight access doors but they will close automatically behind them.
    The space below will also be watertight.
    So in effect the open area is just a platform
    These installations and their operation have to be approved by the classification societies.
  20. davidwb

davidwb Senior Member