Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Delta

FR8252 25kw radar antenna not turning

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Feb 12, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The 6 ft antenna is no longer turning. Checked fuses and they are good. Manual says replace antenna drive mechanism. Anyone done this before or have any input would be appreciated. Where did you purchase part, etc.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We had the scanner repaired by Raymarine last summer and were extremely disappointed in their service. We were told they have a 20 day backlog before even looking at a unit. We were without radar almost the entire summer.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Check that you have power to the unit, that any connections are tight and clean.

If all else fails and you are reasonable competent.

If you can get the cover off check as far as you can the brushes inthe miter are free and in contact wuth the commutator.

Failing that take it off, strip it down and order the parts you need from a Furuno dealer.

Start simple, make sure there is power going to the scanner, just because it is turned on at the BDU doesn't mean that the message is getting through to the scanner.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I have checked power to the screen and that is fine. Haven't checked power to antenna yet.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Skip
    I have worked on some of the old Furuno stuff. Bad connects were usually the big culprits. You have to crack the pedestal and find the dc leads and measure good VB+ upstairs. I do not remember any fuses in the pedestal. Just a lot of room for bad connections. Depending on your displays model, a few cheap fuse holders were on the back, On some models (big, old, heavy) there were some pico fuses on the different boards inside (the display).
    A question, do you get a bright radius line on the display when you try to operate? It would be in the direction the array is pointing. This tells us if the pedestal is alive at all. Any error messages? even the old units would give a timing/heading error if the pedestal was alive at all. if it just sits there and no messages after 2 minutes, there is no VB+ to the pedestal.
    Keep in touch,
    rc
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I get a faint very weak small circle on the display screen and the array does not turn. Actually now the small weak circle has disappeared and theres nothing on the screen. I believe the array (pedestal) is alive although barely breathing. I've checked all fuses and they are good.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Fr8252

Okay unbolted the top of the array and checked for loose connections inside. Although didn't find anything that I noticed to be loose when we shut the top of the radar it started working again. So problem resolved for awhile.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, it's on a boat. Keep a mallet around. When it fails again, just go up there and rap it a few times.
    When you get tired of fixing your stuff this way, go after that bad connect or wire.
    BTW, I like beating on things to make them work. That's why I still run Ole Detroit's.

71's rule,
    rc