Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andyba20, Jan 30, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

I'm looking at buying this 82' Bluewater, but both sides were leakin like this... Is it a quick fix or something more serious??

82' bluewater - YouTube

Thanks guys!
  2. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Btw, sorry for the shaky camera work, I was holding wrenches and flashlight while I was recording...the first 8 seconds show the leak.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Stuffing boxes need to be repacked. Traditional coupling with flax packing is usually no big deal - but boats love to play practical jokes on new owners. First try tightening them.
  4. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, that's gonna same me a lot of time and stress...any other advice for a new owner of a boat this size?
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

If they are traditional stuffing boxes I suggest repacking them with GFO packing. Very, very long lasting and you can adjust them to run dripless.
  6. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Thanks Capt Bill! They should offer a PhD program for boating...dang, there is so much to learn...
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree totally and have had excellent results with GFO. I ran a 75' Hatteras MY 5300NM and never had to even touch the stuffing boxes with GFO. If you re-pack them, dig out ALL of the old packing and put all fresh packing in.
  8. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Thanks for the advice...This brings me to a follow-up question. The owners of this boat took it on 2 trips to the bahamas, so I am assuming it has sat in saltwater for at least a month of its 32 year life. Is this cause for concern?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Proven boat. Did you get those logs? Ask for any data the last owner may have kept. Helps in recalculating (guessing) speed, fuel, distance per day when it's already been done.

If properly maintained, salt water over fresh water use concerns is nil. Lack of use is the worst enemy.
  10. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

That's my biggest concern, lack of use. The owners (in my opinion) aren't really bot people. They hired a captain whenever they took the boat out, and from what I took away from my meeting with them, only take the boat out a few times a year. Other huge red flag; It hasn't been out of the water since 1997. I'll say this, it cranked right up, and we cruised for about 12 miles with no problem at all (no sign of QuickStart). I grew up on Bowriders and smaller cruisers, at 47' this size (and age) boat are just more than my knowledge base can handle. I'm very appreciate to y'all for answering my "rookie" questions.
  11. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

I apologize for all the misspellings, I am responding from my iPhone!
  12. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

andy, are you looking at a local boat? Where do you plan to keep her? Perhaps, I could be of some assistance.
  13. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Hey! Yes, the boat is currently on the Cumberland and I am considering moving it to Elm Hill or somewhere in old Hickory. The reason of move it to Elm Hill is because my office is on West End so it would be closer for me. I know Percy is land locked, but my plan is to live aboard (I travel for work 50% of the time) so its not like I'm gonna be sailing to the Gulf of Mexico anytime soon. I'm originally from east Tennessee so I don't have any experience with the lakes in Nashville.
  14. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Andy, be careful with the talk of "living aboard." Both Priest and Old Hickory are Corps lakes, and live aboards are prohibited. The Corps has prosecuted a number of folks over the years in the area for doing that. There is no exact definition of "live aboard" so it's best if you maintain the appearance of a "dirt address."

BTW, If you want to maintain a location close to West End, look at Rock Harbor or Commodore.
  15. Andyba20

Andyba20 New Member

Well I am gone 1/2 the time and still maintain my main address in east TN do technically it's more of a vacation spot here in Nashville. I'd like to avoid the Cumberland simply because I want to be able to go out and swim quite often and I've not heard great things about the water quality on the river. Keep in mind, I'm 29 and single so this is as much about fun as anything else.
  16. YesMan

YesMan New Member

Wow, that would concern me. Anodes are likely long gone (unless someone's been diving underneath to replace periodically) leading to possible running gear corrosion issues. And bottom paint is probably long gone in spots too, leading to possible bottom fiberglass issues.
  17. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

If she's been on the Cumberland the whole time, she's a
    freshwater boat won't have the same concerns re: corrosion, but you do need to haul to check for blisters.

If you need a recommendation for a good surveyor, let me know.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The anodes statement is a good point. If she was running in salt water make sure you have the right kind on or they'll do nothing. There's a thread here on YF about that.