Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Jabsco 24 volt defective macerator pumps?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt J, Jan 27, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone else has come across any defective Jabsco macerator pumps recently? I am on a trip on a yacht and the new Jabsco 24 volt macerator pump, completely died after being used 5 times over the course of a month. It replaced another 24 volt Jabsco macerator pump that only lasted a month and had sewage water leaking out the motor side where the shaft can be turned from. First it started tripping the breaker every 5 minutes of run time, then every 30 seconds, then the last time ran for 3 seconds. It spiked to 60 amps and the breaker tripped. I turned the shaft, which turns freely with a screw driver.

I just called my guy in Ft. Laud and he informed me that 2 other yachts in the same marina, had the same Jabsco pump fail within 2 weeks also.....So needless to say, I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues. Of course I couldn't just exchange the pump, but they now have to be sent back to the factory and they send you a new one. The last thing I need is to be sitting on 2 waste pumps that I have no use for......arrrrrrggggghhh I do have a Shurflo being flown down to the exumas this time around.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Those pump are worthless... As they can not run dry, it is very hard to use them since you are typically underway and may not hear when the tank is empty.

Get the sealand... Nearly bullet proof.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I need a direct fit, since I am going to be in Staniel Cay tommorow and won't have any parts available to adapt different hose sizes or mounting.....I have a shurflo on the way.....all I need is something that lasts the normal amount of time (2 years) instead of 5 uses.....
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If the lines are standard 1 1/2 the sealand will be a direct fit... Really worth it. All it takes is leaving one of then impeller pumps on a couple of minutes too long and they're done

Thank god for Watermakers! Couple of weeks ago we burned up one of the shore plugs at Staniel (shore power voltage got low overnight, what s new...). In email to west mega and I got a replacement delivered to Watermakers at FLL executive and on the way the next day.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The intake hose is 1 1/2", but the exhaust hose is only 3/4". I am on a 58' Azimut with limited tools. I don't have a drill to mount the Sealand pump and all that. Anyways, I replaced it with a direct fit Shurflo (it was a Sunday and Had a buddy picking it up for me.) It arrived, the tank is pumped, and the owner/guests are all happy.....