Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Burger

Fire - Shut off solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by searage, Dec 29, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. searage

searage Member

While servicing the engines (8V92TI) I noticed a piston/strut on the top that is connected to the arm which activates the shut-off solenoid. I tracked the line on top of this strut to the fire system. It looks like in the case of a fire when the halon system is activated the engines will shut down. The strut was not connected and needs to be replaced. I contacted a local detroit dealer and sent them a picture. I have called them a couple of times but it looks like they are trying to figure out where to get the part. They dont believe that this is a detroit diesel part. Is there anyone on the forum that is familiar with this part?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I would think for safety reasons, an auto shut down of main engines is not advisable, restricts emergency maneuvers etc.
  3. searage

searage Member

However, in case of a fire in the engine room if the engines are running wouldnt they take in the conents of the halon bottle? This is on a 1988 Hatteras SF so perhaps other owners may have noticed this mechanism. I am not sure if it was installed by Hatteras or Detroit Diesel.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Virtually all of the engine room mounted fire supression systems automatically shutdown the engines and generator(s). So they don't ingest the halon or whichever gas and destroy themselves and to assist with fire suppression. A good fire system will also have dampers that close the boats air vents for the engine room.

As for where to get the piston, look to the manufacturer of the fire system you have on-board. The piston looks to be air powered by whatever is in your fire supression bottle. That is neither a Detroit Diesel or Hatteras Yachts part.
  5. searage

searage Member

It is the original Kiddie Fire Supression system. I appreciate the information, this is very helpful and now I know what direction to take.

Happy New Year.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I had a good friend who is very experienced damage his boat after drifting into a bridge after his engines shut down.

he repeatedly try to restart, buzzers were going off, and his anchor failed and the boat became lodged under the brigde.

after things settled down he realized that his fire suppression system had shut down the mains, apparently a wire had become loose causing the system to shut down.

No fire.

The system is desinged to shut down the engiens in the event of a fire so the engines do not suck the halon out of the machinery space. The halon is what smuthers the fire.

Mine and my buddies have an emergency restart/bypass, but he nevere expected or planned for the system to trip without a fire.

The Halon bypass is now in the back of my head and part of my emergency restart check list.
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

As your 80 ft yacht approaches the dock at a sedate 4-5 kts, there are 30 guests waiting to board and watching intently as you approach, some paddlers are also interested in the general area in their canoes the auto fire system kills the mains and how many do you kill or injure ?
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Before spending a lot of time and money to replace the cylinder, how about just put some air to it and see if it works. If it does then all you need is a shoulder bolt.

And as far as the "automatic shutdown" is concerned, make sure that it is indeed automatic and not part of the manual discharge procedure. You may have an alarm, then if and when you decide to discharge the system, engine shutdown is part of that process.

Read the book. If you can't find a book, contact the fire system manufacturer and have them inspect the system and tell you how it works ... they will also provide you with a manual.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Owner/operator should be familiar with fire suppression system shutdown and how to restarts it. Problem is that many are not and builders often stuff the control in outvifvthe way places like, behind electrical panels

False alarms are rare and while accidents can happen, if you are approaching the dock fats enough to cause injury or death, you shouldn't blame the systems but yourself

I d rather risk an rare accidental shutdown than having the engines suck the agent down the tubes. Note that on boats equipped with CO2 systems, the diesels will shut down upon ingesting
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

there is a green light on the dash when the system is armed.

a red light and alarm when it is discharged, the discharge activates the engine shut down.

There is an emergency restart or bypass button at the alarm.

I agree with Pascal, you have to know the system you are operating and emergency proceedures. like a pilot, have a check list, and practice for emergencies.

Heat, oxygen, fuel = fire

Fire in engine room = bad

Fire in eigine room that re-ignites after engines suck halon out of ER = very very very bad