Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

Liquid Air Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jan 25, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Dearman Engine runs on liquid air

A new zero-emissions engine capable of competing commercially with hydrogen fuel cells and battery electric systems appeared on the radar yesterday when respected British engineering consultancy Ricardo validated Dearman engine technology and its commercial potential. The Dearman engine operates by injecting cryogenic (liquid) air into ambient heat inside the engine to produce high pressure gas that drives the engine - the exhaust emits cold air. It's cheaper to build than battery electric or fuel cell technology, with excellent energy density, fast refuelling and no range anxiety.

Think of the Dearman engine as an internal combustion engine without a spark plug, with cryogenic liquid air injected instead of petroleum. There is no combustion, but because the air is stored at cryogenic temperatures (sub minus 160 degrees Celsius), ambient temperatures can superheat it and return it to gaseous form, causing a rapid expansion of gases.

When the piston is at the top of the cylinder, some heat exchange fluid is admitted to the engine cylinder. Immediately after this a small quantity of cryogenic liquid is sprayed into the cylinder; it comes into contact with the ambient (but in relative terms to the cryogenic temperatures, super hot) heat exchange fluid and boils very rapidly, building up pressure and pushing the piston down.

At the bottom of the stroke the exhaust valve opens and the returning piston pushes the heat exchange fluid and air out of the engine where the heat exchange fluid is recovered and the cold air exhausted. At the top of the stroke a new cycle begins.

Using cryogenic liquids as the energy carrier makes a lot of sense, most importantly because the energy density of liquid air compares favourably to the only two current technologies (Nitrogen and batteries) in contention for powering the zero-emission engines that will be used in subsequent generation automobiles, ships, forklifts, motorcycles, buses, trucks, mining equipment, through to certain classes of gensets.

Convenience (aka very fast re-fuelling times) is likely to be the other big selling point in comparison with the other zero emission technologies.

Air is superabundant and cryogenic liquids are already produced and distributed in huge volumes in all countries, making the necessary supporting infrastructure for Dearman engine introduction inexpensive.

Liquid air is a low-risk energy source - it is stored at low pressure and has no combustion risk. Whatsmore, the insulated tank used for is storage is cheaper to produce than re-enforced high-pressure vessels and the marginal cost of additional energy storage is very low - just increase the tank size.

On top of all of that, there are number of other technologies servicing different scales of applications that are being developed that could all use the same energy vector (cryogenic liquid) and share the infrastructure. Last but not least, none of the proposed technologies require scarce materials.

http://www.gizmag.com/dearman-zero-emissions-engine/21201/

Ricardo and Dearman are now working together to bring the technology "closer towards commercial maturity.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The problem is not to make a zero emission engine, but a fuel from nothing...
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very interesting. I note the term liquid "air" and not oxygen. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering about what happens if the tank is punctured.
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Just from watching the scale and density of research that I'm familiar with, the odds seem to be in favour of Hydrogen becoming usable sooner. The ideal of course is to have in situ hydrogen processing and absolutely minimal storage requirements. In a mobile application, perhaps only as much storage as would be needed for instant acceleration, as an example.
  5. rodsteel

rodsteel Member

I wonder why no graph of cost-effectiveness (i.e., cost of fuel production and "mileage").??
  6. brian eiland

Two good questions Clint. At the moment I just see this offered;

"Air is superabundant and cryogenic liquids are already produced and distributed in huge volumes in all countries, making the necessary supporting infrastructure for Dearman engine introduction inexpensive.
    Liquid air is a low-risk energy source - it is stored at low pressure and has no combustion risk. Whatsmore, the insulated tank used for is storage is cheaper to produce than re-enforced high-pressure vessels and the marginal cost of additional energy storage is very low - just increase the tank size"

And the other question is how to store that COLD liquid air in the vehicle for a reasonable amount of time....Aerogel insulated tanks,. a product of this new nano-tech world

ASPEN AEROGELS | Download Videos

I think this company is getting ready to go public.....might be an interesting investment
  7. brian eiland

liquid AIR...not Oxygen
  8. brian eiland

Hydrogen storage is MUCH more problematic than Liquid Air
  9. brian eiland

nothing is FREE in this world....;):D
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Hi Brian. Been a while.

Yes, hydrogen storage has always been one of the potential downsides. What I'm watching is the production of hydrogen on demand. One of a number of issues that has been focused on is creating enough, quickly enough, should the demand increase. From what I know now, the only solution is storage of just enough to meet short period peak demand. Storage of any amount is a deal killer in many applications. Alternative is to store the energy in batteries but that is not really the perfect solution either. The next couple of years will be interesting.
  11. brian eiland

When this liquid air subject first came up, I was ready to write it off very quickly, but then I said it presents an interesting new wringle...maybe have a look. Likely this will never compete economically with our liquid fuels that nature so conveniently packaged up for us to burn in our engines, as we must expend energy to process this air into a liquid state. But then again the exploration, extraction, bartering for, and processing of those oil products is not getting any cheaper, so we need to consider alternatives.
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Some of these developing technologies may not be inexpensive when they finally become usable. There is a "but" hanging out there however. The political costs attached to conventional energy are rising, so even without any increased direct costs, we may be looking at enduser costs for a litre of gasoline closer to what the Europeans are saddled with. The recent Keystone XL problem is more than just a mild harbinger of things to come.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Then you connect this engine to a generator to produce the liquid air, and sail into the sunset...:rolleyes: