Click for JetForums
Click for Moonen
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Trinity
Click for McConaghy
Click for Ferretti
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > 12v71 impellor change

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

12v71 impellor change

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSteve View Post
You can also use a hose clamp to compress the vanes to get the impeller to go in.
Exactly what I do
Garry Hartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysue View Post
My DD manual and I are seperated by 300 miles for the holidays. Does anyone know how many mm the setting is for timing an N70 injector on a 12v71?
Thanks
Hi,

If you are completely stuck get a pair of verniers and measure the heights of the Injectors prior to pulling them out.

A Timing Tool is not that hard to improvise as long as you know what height they should be.

I once lost the tool on the way to a job and made a 1.484" tool out of a 2.5" bolt and two nuts. It took a couple of goes to get the nuts tight at what I measured to be correct.

The engine fired up and ran fine all the way from Papeete to Panama with no Injector or other problems other than a few failed drive belts for a layshaft that drove too much for the belt size.

I found the tool when I got back to NZ sitting on the floor of my car where it must have fallen when I was getting the rest of the stuff ready to go. I still have it although it has not been used by me since.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

round off [not much] of the sharp edge of the housing on the pump...
saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
mysue

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Hi,

If you are completely stuck get a pair of verniers and measure the heights of the Injectors prior to pulling them out.

A Timing Tool is not that hard to improvise as long as you know what height they should be.

I once lost the tool on the way to a job and made a 1.484" tool out of a 2.5" bolt and two nuts. It took a couple of goes to get the nuts tight at what I measured to be correct.

The engine fired up and ran fine all the way from Papeete to Panama with no Injector or other problems other than a few failed drive belts for a layshaft that drove too much for the belt size.

I found the tool when I got back to NZ sitting on the floor of my car where it must have fallen when I was getting the rest of the stuff ready to go. I still have it although it has not been used by me since.
Not stuck at all, just time to run the verhead and adjust the injectors. I've always used a digital vernier to do this on other engines and gotten very good results. Was just curious as to what the hieght was on a 12v71ti. It's in my book, but I'm currently away from the boat. Again just curious as to what height was. Thanks, Gary
Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysue View Post
My DD manual and I are seperated by 300 miles for the holidays. Does anyone know how many mm the setting is for timing an N70 injector on a 12v71?
Thanks
There are some variables. 70s should be naturals. Advanced cam is your concern. I run my own racks and have the manuals with specs. But if you have never set your own racks, get someone who has, especially on a V. If your guessing, it's dangerous even with the tool.
Attached Images
rcrapps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrapps View Post
There are some variables. 70s should be naturals. Advanced cam is your concern. I run my own racks and have the manuals with specs. But if you have never set your own racks, get someone who has, especially on a V. If your guessing, it's dangerous even with the tool.
Those settings are for generator sets (see the very top of the page), however I did run a 75' Hatteras with 12v71's that used the generator set setting. There is a seperate section in that same DD book, that is for marine engines and the same injectors for the same engine will sometimes have a different injector height.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Top of the page is for generators, just below that it states "all others"
,rc
rcrapps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrapps View Post
Top of the page is for generators, just below that it states "all others"
,rc
Yeah, but in the same DD book, there should be a seperate section for marine applications. I don't have the book here, but I've seen it in there. But also over the years, J+T, Convington and others sometimes used injector settings that did not match what the factory DD book said so sometimes you've got to be careful. If it's running good it's best to measure what the injectors are currently at and compare it to the book.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Does anybody know the reason for the injector height setting?
Jimbo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1959 View Post
Does anybody know the reason for the injector height setting?
Hi,

Timing
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

As Gary knows, (because we discussed this on another site), my 12V71TI from my Bertram 54 was just overhauled on the stand in the shop by one of the masters of the trade. John Carey of Carey's Diesel in Leipsic DE. My engines like most of the high output 12V71TI engines in the Bertram's were Key Power conversions. Mine use the 9215P injectors and John set the injector height to 1.500

Attached is another chart with some additional information on Injector Timing. As you can see, the 9215P injector was not even made at the time which adds to the difficulty of interpreting the book!
Attached Images
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Bert28 View Post
As Gary knows, (because we discussed this on another site), my 12V71TI from my Bertram 54 was just overhauled on the stand in the shop by one of the masters of the trade. John Carey of Carey's Diesel in Leipsic DE. My engines like most of the high output 12V71TI engines in the Bertram's were Key Power conversions. Mine use the 9215P injectors and John set the injector height to 1.500

That setting would be somewhat more "advanced" than any of the settings in the referenced book.
I thought you were going to have it rebuilt by J+T. What made you decide to switch to someone else?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J View Post
I thought you were going to have it rebuilt by J+T. What made you decide to switch to someone else?
Tony Selby at Johnson & Towers initially agreed to take the job. Then, when he found out it was a basket case of parts left by Central Marine, he flat out refused to get involved.

Central Marine took a year and $25,000 to remove the engine from my boat and leave it as a pile of parts. Ultimately I had to sue Central Marine for replevin just to get my parts back!

John Carey took my engine from a basket case of parts left by Larry Cress at Central Marine to properly overhauled and back in my boat in 35 days. John is a good man.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Bert28 View Post
Tony Selby at Johnson & Towers initially agreed to take the job. Then, when he found out it was a basket case of parts left by Central Marine, he flat out refused to get involved.

Central Marine took a year and $25,000 to remove the engine from my boat and leave it as a pile of parts. Ultimately I had to sue Central Marine for replevin just to get my parts back!

John Carey took my engine from a basket case of parts left by Larry Cress at Central Marine to properly overhauled and back in my boat in 35 days. John is a good man.
Glad to hear it all worked out well for you after all of the nonsense you went through.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #30 (permalink)

Let's not forget this entire fiasco started with a 2010 $65,000 in-hull overhaul of this engine by John Fitzgerald's Saunders Yachtworks of Orange Beach, Alabama. That engine failed as I took delivery and motored away from the dock!

John's Fitzgerald of Saunders Yachtworks says "there is more to the story than that".

Since I have sued his company for $157,000, he will have the opportunity to tell his side of the story in detail! I'm looking forward to hearing his side of the story. Up till now, they have expressed that they are "sorry this happened".