Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Bonding wire

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Beau, Jun 15, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hi folks

I have a single strand bonding wire, a bit thicker than a copper single strand used in a typical 120v system, which bonds all my thru-hulls to a transom zinc. What material is that wire made of, bronze, copper?? I need to replace a short section.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

My guess is tinned copper wire, as the bilge gets a little saltwater and regular copper can go green. Popular makes are Anchor or Cobra. Try to find what gauge has been used on the rest of the boat. There should be a AWG number on the other existing wires.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's actually tinned twisted multi-strand copper wire and not single strand. It should be #8 green.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

The wire is unsheathed, and almost without doubt is a single strand. But I will check more closely when I get an opportunity next week. It's the thickness of a thin wire hanger and has the same physical attributes....
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

older hatts like mine have copper strips for bonding, so it's possible some builders used single strand copper wire...

in any case it's copper, so you can use marine copper wiring to repair
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I believe it's copper also, but since it connects bronze thru hulls, I thought I'd ask....
  7. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

My port is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    The bonding wire should be stranded copper. The size varies with the application but error on the large size. You can buy standard copper that is coated or tinned but be sure to make your connections carefully as not to scratch the coating. You might consider have a shrink sleeve up the wire at the connection point, re-tinning after you connect and then moving the shrink sleeve down to the connection and applying heat to it to provide secondary protection at the connection

MAKE SURE THAT THE SHORE POWER GROUND HAS NOT BEEN CONNECTED TO THE BOAT GROUNDING SYSTEM ANYWHERE