Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Comfort

Hot LPG solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tirekicker11, Jun 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I was on a boat today where the owner complained about his on/off lpg solenoid getting hot. I've looked at it and indeed after having it 'on' for 5 minutes the 12V. solenoid is nearly too hot to touch.

I can't remember feeling a hot solenoid before, not on engines or on plumbing. Is this normal or does the solenoid needs to be replaced asap?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not.

Does the owner regularly check the temperature of the solenoid and only recently found it hot?

Most solenoids run hot, some seem almost too hot. It all depends on the power and duty cycle.

If the solenoid was previously running warm rather than hot it could be a problem with the slug or core not moving fully into the coil. When power is first applied there will be a high inrush current that quickly drops off to a low holding current when the slug is in the coil. If the current doesn't drop off it is an indication that the slug is sticking.

Whack the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver and see if that reduces the current - and heat. Or just replace the valve if it has been around for a long time.
  3. tirekicker11

Thanks Marmot,

It's a brand new boat. I've had the dealer ordering a replacement solenoid from the builder (together with other items) so I guess I will replace the solenoid and see what the new one does. I can't find a manufacturer's name on the part and Google doesn't bring up any similar when I search in pictures.

Attached Files:

4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is their no legible wording or numbers on the labels shown on the coil casing?

The solenoid itself is only a tiny component of everything shown in your photo.
  5. tirekicker11

There are some numberings on the coil and the casing that I couldn't decipher and didn't note down. Stupid in hindsight.

Attached Files:

6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am sure you will remember to get all available info should you come across this type of mystery part again.

I am also curious as to why the Regulator and shut off solenoid are remote mounted from the bottle, this means that there is a length of rubber hose in the installation that is under full bottle pressure even when the solenoid is shut off and will remain so till the valve on the bottle is manually shut off.

I just saw the blow up you posted, I see the CE Mark which means the type has been approved for use in Europe - not that it applies to LPG Use. The lower one looks like the Parker Hannifin Logo. Those guys make a lot of fluid control gear, not sure what they do in Gas.
  7. tirekicker11

The bottle is somewhere below the camera, the hose from tank to regulator is approx. 50 cm. The stove is right behind the bulkhead. The entire set up is quite neat although this gas locker is so large that it is also used to store cleaning stuff and the like.
  8. tirekicker11

I hope I do, am afraid I don't. Happends to me all the time. Sometimes I think I should wear a small camera on a cap that films everything and records my voice when I'm on a boat.

I just looked into that and found that they do produce LPG solenoids. They have just had a recall for one particular model.

I have just e-mailled the factory to provide me with the details.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

10. 61c40

61c40 Member

It would seem to me, that a rubber hose attached with a push barb and a hose clamp on any LPG or LNG system should raise a red flag:confused: A reinforced high pressure hose with flared or compression fittings would be a much safer system
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You should go by your local BBQ retailer and see what connects the regulator outlet to the Grill Valve inlets.

What is down stream of the regulator is a very low pressure and if a proper certified gas hose is used and replaced as recommended by the hose manufacturer there should be no problem IMO.
  12. 61c40

61c40 Member

I believe the top hose in the picture is the high pressure side he commented in post #7 that the stove is on the other side of the bulkhead that would make the low pressure side the bottom hose going thru the bulkhead fitting as seen in his picture in post#3 The hole system looks like an insurance claim to me:eek: I wouldn't want it on any vessel I was involved in
  13. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Also any regulator that is in a enclosed space should have a diaphragm vent tube from the small hole in the diaphram enclosure to a outside space. This is in case the diaphragm ruptures/fails the gas is vented outside to a safe location. Not all lpg regulators are constructed so that a vent can be plumbed. Regulators intended for outdoor use usually have a screen instead of a threaded vent hole.
  14. tirekicker11

Correct, hose on top side is coming from the tank, hose down below comes from the regulator and is fed trough a grommet in the bulkhead to the stove on the other side.

Your comments are taken but could you explain why this set-up looks like an insurance claim to you and why you wouldn't want to have it on any vessel you were involved in please?
  15. tirekicker11

Interesting information but in this case the regulator is located right next to the gas tank (as I see in most boats) and this compartment has an overboard vent as you could expect.
  16. 61c40

61c40 Member

Its the HIGH PRESSURE SIDE a swaged on fitting would be infinately stronger
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I do not know how they do LPG installs where you are from but I have not seen many if any other than the one pictured at the start of this thread where the regulator is remote mounted from the bottle.

This means that the HP side of things is handled by a mechanically threaded connection of the LH Thread type in most cases I have seen except for the odd clip on ones I have seen on a couple of small gas bottles used with cookers in caravans in France.
  18. 61c40

61c40 Member

LPG tanks in US have internal left handed threads, and an external coarse RH thread connection for lift truck fuel ( hi lows) I 'm talking about the connection at the regulator that has a push barb and a hose clamp(per photo) I'm not sure about the inlet side of the regulator threads but a swagged on fitting on the hose, threaded to a fitting on the regulator would be a much better connection
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I agree with you now you are being specific.

Previously in Post No 10 your statement was a generalisation for ANY system which I was asking what systems you were familiar with if that's how you saw them all connected.

Did you notice that the other hose in the photo seems to have a swaged end to it?
  20. 61c40

61c40 Member

I'm sorry I thought that I was clear that my concern was with the high pressure side of the system. It looks like a normal LPG system to me. Also tirekicker propane is 1&1/2 times heavier than air so the locker vent needs to be at the bottom of the locker