Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Rebuild Detroit 453N's or repower?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MeLikeCookies, May 8, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

I am looking to to rebuild or repower a 48' trawler with 453N's that are in there now. One doesn't run well and the other is a-part already but thinking of getting better efficiency (if possible) and considering re powering with newer modern Motors. Motors that come to mind are cummins, yanmar, johndeer, cat, etc. I only need to replace approx 112 hp (I think that is what these were rated as) so would more horsepower be helpful with displacement hull or stick with what it was designed for ?
    Looking for durability/long lasting with great efficiency.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

A 4-53 rebuild can be accomplished for very little money compared to the cost of a re-power with new diesels. Their lesser efficiency will never outpace in fuel cost the investment in new motors. Rebuild what you have properly and you will likely never wear them out.

Just a guess, is this in a Hatt 48 LRC?
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I will second the above post and recommend rebuilding the Detroits.

They are a great old lump and will give good service if looked after reasonably well, it will be a lot more economical to rebuild them than to re power with anything "modern"
  4. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

Yes it is a 48' LRC and it sounds like rebuilding is going to be a lot more cost effective than repowering. just need to find good mechanic down there or ship the boat back and do it back home. thanks for the replies.
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

The others may be right. But I'd at least look at the cost of a pair of American Marine Ford diesels.

http://www.amerdsl.com/

By the way, where is it your looking to find a mechanic to rebuild those Detroits?
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

+3 with SeaEric and K1W1.
    The rule of thumb is replacing engines will cost roughly twice the cost of those engines...it ain't 'Plug 'n play'; there are ancillary items plus Mr. Murphy to contend with.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't think more hp would push the displacement hull any faster. I was on a 42' Grand Banks that was powered by the new American Lemans, they were well old technology married to an ECU. I don't think you could get more fuel efficient than the 2 stroke DD's you have and I too would recommend rebuilding them and going another 10000 hours with them.
  8. Capt Bill11

Wasn't implying you would get any more speed or efficiency out of the Fords at least. Although you might.

I was recommending them because they are bullet proof, easy to work on and very long lasting. So they are worth a look if you are thinking of re-powering that type of boat.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree that they are bulletproof, but you're not gaining enough by going to them. The Grand Banks had a terrible harmonics through the vessel at idle speed which cleared up with a little throttle, the technology on the engines is the same old same old when it comes to gaskets and oil leaks, and they didn't run as good as something else I would repower with such as a yanmar , John Deere's or similar IMO. This was a professional installation, and I think the engines were $60k for both with the necessary controls and electronic displays

Really, he cannot go wrong rebuilding what he has, and IMO repowering wouldn't gain anything useful for the money spent.
  10. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

Thanks for everyone's imput and help. It does appear after a little research that rebulding them in place is most definately the way to go. Now to find a good local mechanic and have rebuild kits shipped in or bring them with me. We might be able to get boat running enough to make it to a local yard or get her towed to be able to haul her out and do the bottom and check running gear and replace stabilizer seals and see if they even work. Once again thanks for all the impute.
  11. Capt Bill11

That seems like stupid money for a Ford repower. A lot of it must have been in the electronics. Which you don't need for those engines. And Lehman's are not known for having much of an oil leak problem. Certainly nothing like Detroits. The beauty of the Lehman's is the fact that they are old tech. Simple to work on and no chance of getting stranded because of a electronic hiccup.

That rumble at dead idle is a classic GB/Lehman thing. There are a couple of ways to stop it. The easiest and cheapest is, as you noted, to bump the throttle up just a bit and it goes right away.
  12. yr2012

yr2012 New Member

Absolutely do the re-build. Those naturally aspirated engines will outlive most writers on this forum. I put a pair into a workboat in the mid 70's - 110 hp and they are going strong.
  13. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

wow that is impressive back in the 70's? I have heard if you take care of them they will take care of you. So just regular oil changes ? do you suggest every 300 hrs or annually which ever comes first? I had 671's TIB's 485 hp and book said I think every 150 hrs which I did since they were working so much harder but naturals I spect you could get away with 200 hrs min service if not 300? What other types of service did you do besides impellers/belts? Circ pump ever go or did you change that every so many 1000's of hours? or just carry spare and wait for it to go? Injectors/valves at how many hours? 1000? or so? I am sure when I get rebuilds done I will download manuel that will have all this but I would stick to what your doing if they have lasted for over 30 plus years.
  14. yr2012

yr2012 New Member

150 hr checks and put in another gallon of oil! Oil changes every other week on continuous operated boats. The last rebuild on that pair was at 28,000 hrs and they are still stroking along on a push boat. You carry four sets of everything mechanical on push boats. If something breaks, you can replace it on the spot, because stopping at marine stores along the route isn't an option.
  15. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Boy howdy. So much so that loose items, keys, sunglasses will all end up on the deck if you don't bump em up a couple hundred...
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i vote rebuild......

in this application it makes sense.......
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where is your ship? Where is she going?
    Rebuild da 53s.

71s rule,
    rc
  18. jurisich

jurisich New Member

4-53's

I ran a pair in a 31 Bertram for years. Slow but very economic. The main thing is to keep fresh belts on them. Same for all 53;s . Same weakness in the V8's in my 41 Hatteras. Also some of the clutches ran at very high pressures, so pay attention to the oil hoses.