Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Californian 53' Aluminum fuel tank question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by plpmusic, Apr 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. plpmusic

plpmusic New Member

I am considering the purchase of a 53 Californian. It is 25 years old. There are 3 Fuel tanks and are all aluminum and buried and wonder if at some point in time I may need to change them, how difficult and what expenses of getting them in/out am I looking at? Anyone out there familiar with the build and mechanical layout of this boat or have to address this in this issue before?
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Changing out fuel tanks can be very expensive and be a major PITA. It often involves cutting the boat open on the sides or bottom. Or removing the engine/s.

If the tanks are suspect you need to try and get a look at as much of them as you can. Using mirrors and fiber-optic cameras. See if it looks like the tanks are or have been getting wet down near there bottoms or lower sides. You can have them pressure tested but that only tells you they are good on that day.
  3. plpmusic

plpmusic New Member

Californian 48-53-55- fuel tank re-placement

thanks Capt. Anyone familiar with construction of the Californian and how these tanks may have been installed? If i need to have a tank replaced, I'd like to know what method would be least expensive...Before- I invest in purchase of this vessel, so I can incorporate a 'worst case scenario'