Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay

By-pass blowers 92 series

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bamboo, Sep 14, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

"My" S&S 16-92's (1987, non DDEC, mechanical gov) came with 100% (non by-pass) superchargers (aka blowers) when the boat (65 sportfish) was new. In '05 one of the port charge air coolers' (cooling the turbo charger air) raw water lines failed causing engine failure. It was rebuilt with 83% (by-pass) blowers. I did not notice the difference as I had been on the boat for less than 6 months. I had the stbd main rebuilt this year and at that time they replaced the blowers on that side also with by-pass blowers. Note I started with four 100% blowers, then half and half, and now it's four 83% blowers. I noticed shortly after this years rebuild that I had less low end power and more low end smoke, the stbd was hard to (cold) start and we did not reach our normal top speed. Normal sea trial conditions were observed (new filters, clean bottom, full fuel/water) and we did multiple two way runs.

What experience do members here have with the results of changing from the 100% blowers to the 83% versions? How about vice versa?

If you have no experience dealing with this specific issue then please let those with experience answer, thanks.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Why didn't they use the original style blowers?
  3. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

The biggest reason Detroit went to a by-pass blower is that it is more efficient. The blower will only allow so much air from the turbo to pass through. Once air box pressure builds the valve in the end plate opens and the increased pressure from the turbo now takes over. The blower robs the engine of power. But is a necessary evil to get the engine started
    As to your low end power loss and excessive (black I assume) smoke: Did they change the turbos at the time of overhaul?
    Is your hard starting issue with the strbd engine only? Are there 2 different re- builders involved? Is there a throttle delay mechanism involved? Yield links etc...If so may be as simple as rack adjustment.
    One question I have for you is: This 83% number what do mean? Because during startup and lower speed (Low air box psi) the blower is actually producing a 100%.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Same company did both engines, and why they changed IDK. The hard starting is on one side only- stbd. I spoke with a major marine exhaust builder and the tech said a common reason a 92 does not want to start after a rebuild is installation of by-pass blowers instead of 100%. Not sure what you mean by efficiency- something that pushes 100% is more efficient that something that pushes 83%(?) Yes they changed the turbo- and with the same unit. I've had ADDA spend over 10 hours chasing down the issues- and they did adjust the rack and throttle delay with a bit of success.
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Long story short, no.

Long story longer, the supercharger robs the engine of power at higher RPMs, and cramming more air into it via the turbos causes it to "fight back" (for lack of a better lay term) in two directions which compounds the power loss. The bypass valve allows the blower to unload and, while not quite free-spooling, it is turning without compressing so much air, relieving it of some of the work that is also being done by the turbos. The turbos are far more efficient at higher RPMs than the blower is, so as engine speed increases and the bypass valve opens the intake air is predominantly charged by them instead. 100% blowers were more typically found on NAs, not turbo engines.

At lower RPMs when the turbos aren't spooled up and the blower hasn't reached a certain perssure, the bypass plate is closed and it is a 100% blower.
  6. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

Do both engines have excessive smoke while throttling up or is just the starboard? If so it is quite possible, even tho the turbos were changed at overhaul they may not be correct. Another words they may not spool up quick enough. The A/R (may still be the same as if your blowers were original) When we would add a by-pass blower to an 8V-92TA for hi-way use we would change the turbo and actually use a 6V-92TA because it had a smaller A/R and would spool much faster thereby minimizing smoke. Food for thought
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't understand why they changed blowers. But, it could be a turbo that's not right. It could also be a cylinder with low compression, it will do the same thing. Do you see a small sheen of fuel coming out of the exhaust as you're turning the motor over? I had a 12v71TI that was just rebuilt at 150 hours split the tip on an injector and wash the cylinder out and low compression that acted similar. Did they use DD reliabilt injectors at the rebuild? Mine rebuilt in 2008, they put all "new" DD reliabilt injectors and at 150 hours when they had to major the engine again, in addition to the injector with the split tip...... 4 other injectors were deemed to be bad. So 5 out of 12 injectors that were 3 months old and had 150hours of use.....and No water in the fuel or any of that.

I also had a set of 8v92 DDECs with low hours 800ish, and each motor had 1 dead cylinder and they were really really hard starting.....and acted the same way.
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The bypass turbo has both a spring loaded bypass that allows turbo air to bypass the blower and also a small "scooped out" area next to the bypass which allows air to pass- the 100% has no such thing. That's my understanding and poor explanation of what I've come to understand.

Both emit large amounts of smoke when I "twist" (one forward, one reverse) the boat and if I want to twist faster I get more smoke and not more power.

The port brings the boat on plane with the stbd in idle forward, the stbd would not initially. After ADDA adjustments both brought the boat on plane but the port is takes less time and gets higher rpm.

No fuel sheen from either engine.

Why they changed from 100 to 83 is unknown to me.
    The rebuilders have sent two techs with a work truck and are now changing the blowers back to 100%. I hope this is the right move.

With the blowers off the pistons and surrounding areas look clean with little cylinder to cylinder differences so perhaps there is no blown/split injectors. No fuel sheen on start up or attempt to start either side.
  9. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

I assume this ADDA did not take a compression test of either engine, especially the starboard and he is going on appearance of the cylinder liners and maybe a couple of top rings that he can see. Then you did not have enough air going into the engine. 2nd the rack settings on the starboard engine were not correct, sounds like the port has much more power. I hope they can get this fixed for you, but its a shame that not to many people really know how to work on these engines. BTW who is the ADDA re-builder?
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That's essentially correct, but the turbocharged air is not bypassed to the atmosphere, it bypasses into the engine without loading up the blower. This is an increase, not decrease, in efficiency.
  11. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

http://www.atlanticdda.com/

Atlantic Detroit Diesel Allison is pretty much the only game in town for Detroit service in the northeast, anyone else is an also-ran. As far as I know, they may be the biggest Detroit sales and service company in the nation having acquired many smaller Detroit shops. We were using them since back when they were Bruce GM Diesel.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

But at low rpm the scooped out area lessens the air box pressure(abp). If I understand correctly the by pass blower allows more abp at high rpm but less at low end. The 100% blower give more low end abp and less at top end. That's the reason it starts hard- less abp at low rpm. Do I have it wrong?
    Before the 05 rebuild I had a sea trial and recorded abp's on both engines: nearly identical. Shortly after the 05 rebuild I had the same company seatrial and I had lower abp's at low end (port main) (same as previous on stbd main) and they suggested I had the wrong blowers installed. It now appears they were correct. ABP's after the '10 rebuild both mains abp's reflected the bypass blower numbers.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have not dealt with that particular engine arrgt but have a lot of Diesel Engineering experience including a lot of the smaller Detriots albeit a long time ago.

As posted earlier the Turbos are only going to have any sort of effect on the amount of air provided to the inlet of the gear driven roots blowers when the engine is up and running and has a bit of Exhaust Gas Flow. (These Turbos are purely Exhaust Gas Driven and the blower is mechanically driven via the engines timing gear train)

They will not provide a jot of increase in flow when the engine is being cranked over by the starter motor.

If you have less Air Box Pressure at revs when the Turbos will actually be providing some boost do you have any comparative or Detriot numbers as to what the post turbo and pre Blower Numbers should be?

What are the techs measuring as a pressure drop across the Charge Air Coolers? How does this compare to factory numbers?
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

1987 vintage (about when the bypass blower engines came on line) 16V-92 TA--

Turbocharger......(2)TW9401 (1.46A/R)
    Charge Air Cooling System.......JWAC with boost cooler
    Blower type.......100%-relieved-bypass
    Blower Drive ratio......2.60:1
    Engine Crankcase Vent System....CLOSED [I assume AirSeps are in place here]
    Maximum pressure...-6.0-2.9 in. H2O

Fuel Injector/Timing......7125/1.508#

Low idle min.......550rpm
    Max No-load......2500rpm

I'd imagine you can have a pre-bypass blower motor or you can have the previous version, but cannot imagine a mixture of the two unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands.
  15. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Sort of. There is larger airbox volume because of the "scooped out area" providing space for the bypass tubes and plates, but that should not affect blower pressure at low RPMs. The plates don't open up and allow any bypass until a certain pressure is reached. The higher airbox pressure at high RPMs is because the turbos are no longer limited by the volume that can push thorough the blowers (i.e. when the blowers are "loaded up" - unable to move more volume, and facing positive pressure on both inlet and outlet sides... essentially braking the inlet air). Lower at lower RPMs is relative, it won't be lower than a 100% blower since the bypass plate will be closed and the blower will be sending (nearly) all its pressure into the engine, save for .x% that will be turbulence out at the end of the blower swirling around the bypass valve.

*edit* - This may not be as clear to you as to me, and I will endeavor to address it more completely when I am better rested. Three 4am start days in a row have the brain-to-keyboard function a little bit fuzzy.
  16. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The engines are back together and we did a run- but can't call it a seatrial as the bottom is not clean, 1/3 fuel, full water, not new filters. Certainly a great reduction in smoke and more available power when twisting the boat. Brought the boat on plane with a higher final RPM with one in gear @idle and the other full throttle. Less smoke across the rpm spectrum, and no load was above 2450 both sides. Wide open both sides was around 2300, maybe a bit over with an averaged 28-28.5 kts top speed. Much quicker to respond from 1200-1800 than with the bypass blowers. Real seatrial to follow shortly with the normal parameters: full fuel, at least 2/3 water, clean bottom and new filters all around. My opinion is that I'll get the extra 1.5 knots and few more rpms during the next seatrial, but the proof has to be in the pudding, not my opinion.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for posting back with the results so far.

Lets hope it proves to have solved the problem you were having, I look forward to reading about your next test run.
  18. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The latest run with full fuel showed the same things the other runs did: non bypass blowers suit this hull better than the bypass units. Considerably more low end response with less smoke, and little top end difference.
  19. threestiks

threestiks New Member

Detroit Rebuild

Who did you use on the rebuild?
    How much and how long did they take?
  20. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I used a major DD/Allison company headquartered in Portsmouth, VA. Not sure if I'm allowed to name them here, but they did good work by me (other than the SC mixup). The rebuild quote and final price was a good 25% less than FL companies- I'm thinking it was do to labor/travel costs. About 4 weeks rebuild time while I stayed in the water right behind the shop- no marina/yard fees.