Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Auto Pilot

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by ArielM, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I have a 1980 43 foot viking with an older model Raymarine Nav/radar setup. Gps is a RN 300 and the radar and chart plotter is a RL 80+ and an RL 70 down at the lower helm. I am interested in getting an auto pilot but i had a few questions as to how they are setup. Does the Auto pilot need to plug into the GPS system? I assume it needs GPS info but i dont see how it would connect to my existing setup unless i went with an older Raymarine unit. What am i missing? Btw the boat has a hydraulic steering system. If it doesn't need to plug into the GPS how does it stay on track? how much would i be looking to spend for such a system? (Boat weighs 35,000 lbs) Most important it is important that whatever i get can be used with the newer Raymarine nav systems should i choose to upgrade my GPS/Radar system. Any info is appreciated.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A basic Autopilot setup gets it's heading reference from the compass. You select a course to steer and the AP does it's best to follow this.

As you should always have someone on watch when underway it is not a major drama to change course when reaching a way point on the Chart. This can be confirmed by the position on the GPS and the alteration be made.

It also gives the watch keeper something to do and allows for some situational awareness to enter the equation, a lack of which has been responsible for many an accident.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

K1W1 is right. I have used autopilots connected to the chartplotter (GPS) and I dont like when the yacht is changing course on waypoints. There may be other boats close and it can be a less favourable sea. As long as the plotter is showing your track relative to the plot, it is easy to correct when you think it is the right moment. The only disadvantage is that you have to follow up the side drift manually on longer legs.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The track feature can't operate unless you're connected to the GPS/chartplotter. Without that connection it will keep you on the prescribed heading (per its compass), but won't correct xte. Autopilots are designed to ask permission before making a course correction of more than a few degrees, and I would never allow it to make major turns. It knows compass headings, not that it's throwing someone to the floor. It will also overshoot most turns unless going very slow which leads to back and forth corrections that will leave you looking and feeling drunk.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

To avoid confusion, the track feature in the chartplotter is always working, connected or not to the autopilot. So you can see your track relative to the plotted course. But you have to adjust the course on the autopilot manually if they are not connected.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Correct. The OP should also check his GPS installation manual or with the mfg. Some units that you wouldn't expect at first glance can in fact be connected to an autopilot, as well as interfaced with the radar which is always nice.
  7. pdx1000

pdx1000 Guest

Autopilot for bigger yachts

May I continue on the AutoPilot subject and ask whether big (mega) yachts and merchant vessel also use autopilots like a Furuno Navpilot 500 or Simrad AP50 - relatively cheap - and is the difference in the related gear (gyro compass, etc.) or do they use something more 'industrial' ?
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Most bigger yachts and ships are using 24 volt heavy duty equipment that can be running 24/24 for long periods of time. Often the navigation tools are linked to multipurpose screens.
  9. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I see thanks for the input guys. Now can i get a complete system for this size boat for around $1,000-1,500? I am fully capable of installing this myself so that price is for materials only.

Are there any models that you guys recommend? I know raymarine makes few models but have heard that they wander a lot. Is this true? Any particular Simrad or furuno models i should look at in particular?
  10. Mark I

Mark I Member

I have an old Robertson AP and I just set course and keep track of where it is on my Furuno Chartplotter. I will make occaisional course corrections to the XTK but I don't get too crazy about it.

It works fine and if I were to replace it, I would still like a stand alone. I prefer to have separate radar and chartplotter as well.

I don't know that you will be able to get one for that size/weight boat in that price range.

My .02
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When you say "complete system" are you referring to radar (w or w/o array?), GPS/chartplotter and autopilot 2 stations? Don't think you're even in the ballpark if that's what you're asking about. 2nd station will be a monitor/slave which will save some money. A decent GPS/chartplotter will run close to $2,000. An integrated system is also more than just plug in and go. Are you familiar with calibrating the system and dialing in the radar? I've gotten on more boats where straight up the centerline was not straight up the centerline which gets interesting in the fog, and I just moved a boat where the autopilot wasn't in sync with the GPS/chartplotter and it was off by varying amounts up to 40*. It's a little annoying to run up a courseline with your vessel showing to be turned facing 40* to the left. Also, with that situation the track feature is useless. Getting it straightened out isn't rocket science, but just be aware that it's more than just carpentry.
  12. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

by "complete system" i mean a complete auto pilot system for the lower helm only. By this i mean one AP display, hydraulic pump and any other misc parts required to get this to work. I already have a complete and fully functioning radar/chartplotter/sonar system at both helms.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In that case your budget should be fine.