Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Best products to keep Stamoid canvas covers white?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt J, Jul 24, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am managing a boat that has a lot of Stamoid white canvas covers on everything. So far I've been using either Rolloff or Krud Kutter when washing the boat to keep the Stamoid covers white, but it doesn't get them super clean.

What is everyone else using on Stamoid to keep them bright white? I've seen IMAR has come out with a Stamoid Cleaner and Stamoid protectant. Has anyone had any experience using the IMAR stamoid products?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

We had these covers all over the flybridge and forward seats on our Broward. They held up pretty well, but over time began to crack. As I'm sure you know Capt. J, be careful not to use a solvent because these covers are plastic coated. MEK or acetone can help remove a stain from a stubborn area, but you only get one swipe before it melts the surface and embeds the dirt or mold into the plastic.

I used a light Clorox and detergent mix that worked very well, but I always wondered if this accelerated the cracking issues we had with these covers over time. Of course, time and exposure to the sun produce the same results.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On some of these white cover materials with a "plastic" surface, I have used "car degrease", the spray you clean paint from tar stains in the winter. I sprayed it on the covers when dry, not in sunshine, and then cleaned with a sponge and lots of water.

But as always, try on a small piece first.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd like to stay away from Clorox as I know it does shorten the lifespan of the stitching.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How long before that cracking began?
  6. YachtForums

A few years passed before I noticed any degradation, which was probably reaching the expected lifespan of Stamoid. As I type this, it brings back memories of removing, folding and storing the covers. It was always exciting because I knew at some point, complete debauchery would follow. :D
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Would I be right to consider "lifespan" to be about 8 years? Also, "folding"? Wouldn't you roll it as you would isinglass. Plastic usually doesn't take well to folding.
  8. YachtForums

Stamoid is much more pliable than Isinglass. While rolling is best for most materials, items such as helm seats, fighting chairs or console covers don't lend themselves well to rolling.
  9. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

I have always used degreaser with a bit of Chlorox to clean dirty or stained Stamoid. It has worked remarkably well every time and always seems to bring back the bright white.

I recently decided to apply 303 Protectant to my Stamoid covers. It is a good UV protectant for vinyl and plastic and once I learned that Stamoid has a plastic coating after reading this thread I assumed that 303 would do well to protect it.

Opinions?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So far one of my detailers has told me to use Orange Gojo with pumice degreaser with a majic eraser.

I have bought the 3 different IMAR products, they make a stamoid cleaner, protectant, and a wax or something. I am going to try them and report back.....if not it's time to try the Orange Gojo.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

UPDATE: the Orange gojo did not seem to do much of everything.

All of the IMAR products are endorsed by Stamoid

I used the IMAR vinyl/stamoid cleaner with a magic eraser and am very happy to report that it worked very well and did not take much Elbow grease to get the covers back to the origional white. Basically a few light to medium swipes of the magic eraser. There were a few drips of something that did not come totally white, but overall it did a very nice job. However, I am very happy to report that it did it on the 6 month old covers and the 4 year old window covers. The product is a clear liquid and smells a bit citrus based, not chemical based.....

I have not used the protectant at all yet and skipped to the IMAR stamoid wax-like cream as the directions states. The protectant should be sprayed on in between waxing it (the product isn't called a wax, but I don't have the bottle in front of me).

I used the IMAR stamoid wax-like product it was a liquid cream where the other 2 products are a spray and it went on very easy and I used a supplied wax applicator pad. It made the stamoid very soft and supple and the stamoid felt like when it was first installed in texture. This product is recommended every 2-3 months........

Overall I am very happy because previously used Rolloff and Krud Kutter as well as boat soap.....and all of those only did an ok-good job and took a lot of elbow grease.....
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

303 would probably do a good job. BUT so far I'm very happy with the IMAR products for it, and they are endorsed by Stamoid (Ferrari textile) and easy to apply and use sooooo........