Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Help with I.D of Strainers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Fishtigua, Jul 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Could anyone help with the I.D. of the following strainers mounted on a Trader 535, an ex-charter boat from the Virgin Isles.

We need to replace all the seals and cannot find any name or number on them.

Cheers

Dave
    IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5269.JPG
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Jeez Dave, they must be about the easiest simple seals to make yourself if you don't have real ones.

Just get some fibre centred rubber gasket material (The fibre stops the rubber squeezing out so much when under pressure) and cut some new ones.

Use a bit of glue on the ones either end of the clear body bit and some lube on the one for the lid.

You might even find seals from another brand will fit if they are of the correct dimensions.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The top and bottom seals are 'L' shaped and a bit of a sod to reseat.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That's so they can charge more for them. :rolleyes: Find or make a nice soft O-ring that fits snugly in the groove of the end pieces.

But really, a good chandlery should have a large selection of replacement seals for just about any strainer that has been around for a while. The logo lids are custom but there isn't much chance a foundry or small company making those things would order proprietary seals when they only cost pennies for standard items manufactured by the millions for other industrial applications.

If nothing else, take K1W1's advice and learn how to make gaskets. It's an old maritime tradition that needs to be passed along. Here's a link to the tried and true that's kept engine rooms dry(ish) for generations:

http://www.allpaxcorp.com/cgi-bin/a/products/extension.html?id=pwMPZdDA
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The strainers are Asian maybe Chinease copies of a Groco strainer. I have seen them on a few Taiwanese built yachts over the years, and that is the ONLY place I have seen them. I have not been able to get wear parts for them or even know the manufacturer's name. Sometimes you can find a perko or groco strainer basket to fit. But as for the O-rings/gaskets you will probably have to make them. Contacting the manufacturer of the vessel may help you get parts. I just replace them with a groco or perko sea-strainer as needed, sea-strainers are not all that expensive. I would probably replace with groco as needed so they have a similar appearance to the ones that are origional.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Thanks J,

Yes that's what I figured. The Grocos will be ordered first thing Monday morning.

Thanks for your help guys.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I also forgot to mention that the quality of the bronze in those foreign strainers is not good either and I have seen them fall apart.

Ordering the Groco's is your best bet IMO.
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Again,

Yep, I agree but I had to make the effort of looking for the owners' sake.

His quick turn around haulout is getting bigger every day. Shafts out, C/Bs out and now P-brackets out. All thru-hulls and strainers replaced, we haven't got to the toilets yet but you can guess what's comeing.

Ex-charter boats, gotta luv'em.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Dave, Why should this have jack**** to do with the strainer maker?
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The cheap crap bolted onto bareboats from Tiawan is just laughable and the maintenance is not of the highest caliber.