Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport

anti fouling paint for aluminum yacht

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chris W, Jul 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chris W

Chris W Member

good day all.i just want to tap into the centuries of collective experience here.i am running an 80ft aluminum hull sailboat,the bottom needs painting badly.last done in turkey last year with tin based INTER TRILLUX 33.not available anymore,and, i am fairly sure, not allowed in new england where i am now.anyone know any good websites i can educate myself with?i may wait til i get back to florida or bahamas as i think it would be alot less expensive and may offer more options.
    thanks in advance.lets hear it.
    cw
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. Chris W

Chris W Member

kiwi,right again

it does say tin replacement,left over can i have is kind of covered.i would like to use the same product so as to make complete sandng not needed.i found out they only did one coat when it was last done.i would do 2 coats and a third around the water line.
    thanks.
    cw
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although I'm not up on the current crop of anti-foulings, let me just say use a paint that is rated for the tropics. Barnacles are going a bit nuts this year up north here. I'm already seeing a bumper crop and they don't usually show up until late August around here, and Florida...Well, that's barbacle heaven.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Are the sea temperatures up that much or is there more food for them for some reason?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Temps are up and the water is clean with lots of algae until last week.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

As far as I know, TriLux is still available and can be used in the US and is a good paint. Seahawk makes a good product for aluminum as well.
  8. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

The boat I'm running currently is aluminum and we used Seahawk. We started in Ft. Lauderdale, then the Bahamas and now PR. Going on a year now and I'm happy with it.

But I'm not happy with their version of Prop Speed though.
  9. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Something to think about might be Coppercoat. The product info states it is safe for aluminum boats with a proper epoxy primer. http://coppercoat.com/

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have only come across one place where they say Trilux 33 is dis continued.

Here is a place that offers it in a number of different sizes and is in the US.

http://www.boatersland.com/alum.html
  11. Chris W

Chris W Member

thanks for the responses

i would be worried about any scratches or damage that breeched the barrier coat when using any copper type paint.i have a very good condition barrier coat intact as the boat is not too old.i would not mind trying sea hawk paint but dont know about compatability with whats left of the trillux paint on the boat now.all this is motivated by my hate of sanding as well.i was told by a shipyard manager in fairhaven that trillux was not available/legal here.maybe they just want to sell me their paint which was 40% more expensive.
    i would expect some growth after a year but thick crusty stuff is abit much,i see some other boats going thru the same thing.i do sit alot though without moving.
    maybe being in narragansett bay doesnt help with all the runoff lately.
  12. Jim Seidel

Jim Seidel New Member

My name is Jim Seidel and I am the Assistant Marketing Manager for North America for Interlux. Trilux 33 has not been discontinued. Although Trilux 33 is not available in Canada it is available in the U.S. and in most countries around the world. Trilux 33 does contain a copper derivitive called cuprous thiocyanate as well as a booster biocide of zinc omadine. It does not contain cuprous oxide which is found in most antifouling paint. Paints that contain cuprous oxide are not recommended for aluminum boats without a very thick (20 mils minimum) barrier of epoxy but Trilux 33 can be applied to aluminum as long as normal priming procedures are followed. To find a dealer near you can go to www.yachtpaint.com and click on dealers or contact us and we will help you find a dealer. If you are in North America you can our technical service helpline at at 1-800-468-7589. The helpline is open from 9:00Am to 4:00 PM Monday to Friday.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to YF Jim.

Thank you for the confirmation that Trilux33 is still available and the offer of assistance to the Original Poster.