Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

which diesel???

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by islandmech, Jul 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. islandmech

islandmech New Member

I am in the market for a newer 48 to 54 ft yacht and would love to hear some opinions on engine choices. The yachts we have looked at have the following engines {respectively} 3208ta {375 hp} 6BTA 370 hp cummins, 330 and 380 hp Volvo's, and one had 6v92's{or 6V53].. I realize this a subjective question but any insight is much appreciated regarding longevity,ease of mntc,fuel burn etc

Thanks very much!
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

3208TA 375 HP are good engines. Cheap to work on and new ones are cheaper also. Volvos are also good- but tend to leak oil. DD leak oil but if not overworked are reliable- stay away from the 53's but I doubt you saw 53's- 71's most likely. Nothing wrong with the Cummins either. I know I did not favor any engine thus perhaps not giving you a nudge any direction. Some folks do not like the DD or Volvo's, plus the CAT is a older version so that leaves the Cummins. It all depends on the rest of the boat and overall condition, really.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you eliminate by motor brand in a pre-owned you may pass on a good boat with good motors in favor of a less well cared for boat. I'd look for a boat you like, and if the boat and motors are good and get's the speed you're after that's it. Every mfg. has put out a bad motor so choosing mfg. is no guaranty. 3208's have been a staple for a long time. We had the 330 Volvos on a 50 Viking SC. It gave us an honest cruise speed of 19-22 kts. loaded. the 380 would be faster, but would crown the engine room. Volvos do leak some oil as do DD's, but so can any. I ran one boat with cats that burned 1 gt. of oil a day, others that didn't. Personally, I'm not a big lover of Cummins, but nothing in particular bad or good I can say. So I go back to my 1st two sentences.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

While I agree with the others, one thing to consider is dealer and mechanic support in the area you will be doing most of you cruising.

Even the best engine breaks down sooner or later.
  5. islandmech

islandmech New Member

Thanks for the input..... I realize the boat we choose will have to be a combination of everything, including the power choice. An example of one brand would be the Bayliner 4788. Older ones have the Hino's, newer ones the Cummins. I do my own maintenence on my present boat and will also on the next one, therefore engine access and servicability is important.{and it sucks on some of the boats we have seen}
    Looking at Navigators,4788's, OA 48,Carver 54 etc... hence the various engines.
    Anyways, it is fun looking, thanks again.