Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

10 year old Awlcraft paint

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by jterry, Jul 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jterry

jterry New Member

I am getting gray and black spots on or under the paint, they won't wash or polish off. Have used Awlgrip wash and sealer just makes it shine not clean. What should i do?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

repaint the entire boat!

without pictures I have no idea what you're actually looking at, and therefore couldn't advise you.
  3. jterry

jterry New Member

10 year Awlcraft Paint

I tried to clean the paint with mineral sprits, did not remove the spots. The spots could very well be the primer under the paint. LUCKY ME
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When I hear gray or black spots my mind instantly goes to mold, fungus or bacteria. Now, I'm no paint expert, but if that is the case won't that come through the new paint pretty fast? The answer may be to strip it before repainting. Can you post any pics so those in the know on the subject can give you an informed answer?
  5. m2m

m2m Senior Member

I have found that grey/black spots on Awlgrip or even gel coat is sometimes attributed to acid rain. You can do a quick test by wiping an area down with white vinegar and follow that with a wiping of household bleach. I have seen this a lot in my area and compounds or solvents won't touch it but the vinegar bleach combo makes it disappear
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have you actually done that with Awlgrip? I'd be concerned about being the first to try that considering they don't even want you to use regular boat soap. Also, that combination (even just bleach) will kill mold spores. Are you sure it was acid rain that caused it. If it's spores in the primer it would come back. Has anyone asked Awlgrip about their opinion?
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I'm no expert but something tells me you have an issue *under* the paint, rather than with the paint itself. Cleaning or painting over is only going to band-aid the issue.

Best of luck in figuring it out. Perhaps carefully 'exploring' one spot in particular once she's in the yard will help understand what's under them and the long term fix.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have taken care of a few yachts with Awlgrip where the primer was coming through. Generally it comes through in areas......or larger areas. How large are these spots? The primer underneath Awlgrip is usually a redish pink color......but can also be grey. But I've usually seen the pinkish red. It is possible someone dropped a chemical that ate through the paint. I find it weird the spots are black some places and grey others. I would not hesitate to try the vinegar, it's not that harsh compared to other things. Or call Awlgrip and see if anyone has the tester to test your MIL thickness of paint and they can come out and check it.
  9. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

good advice.......it would also help to know where this problem is located at and what the paint is applied to, wood, alum,glass,over old paint.ect.and how old is the boat is...???
  10. jterry

jterry New Member

10 year Awlcraft paint

the bleach and water took the spots off. I did not try the vinegar but will try it. I will be very careful not to let the bleach dry and wash the area and seal it with awlgrip sealer.
    Thanks for all the advice and help.
    J.T.
  11. m2m

m2m Senior Member

I have used this method on Awlgrip, Awlcraft, Alexsea, gelcoat etc. with no ill effects.