Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Impaired night vision from masthead light!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by mmss1, Jul 11, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

Dear All!

I work on a 34m MY which have a serious problem during night passages: the (stray) light from the masthead light is lighting up the whole foredeck and (especially) the white bulwarks which are at perhaps 45 degrees angle.

The result is that night vision is badly affected and the lookout can't really see properly. If (as a test) the masthead light is turned off it is like putting night vision glasses on.

We have tried with a simple shade to block the light but the shade has to be unreasonably big to block all light so this is not a viable solution.

- Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was your solution?
    - Would it be possible to alter the actual light? I.e. to put a shade inside the light or perhaps paint the Fresnel pattern of the lens?
    - Are there nav lights that have a maximum vertical arc of light close to the 5/7.5 degrees required?

All ideas are welcome since this is a quite serious problem for us.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here we have such a shade on most boats, so it must work on your as well.
  3. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

Thanks for your reply!

Exactly what we expected when we made our first shade! In our case it seems like the light is not focusing properly which means that we have to block light also from the top Fresnel pattern of the lens. (That probably didn't make sense at all!!! I will try to do a drawing with the actual measurements on our yacht and post later...)

Do you have a picture or a drawing of your shade?

Best regards.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is one from Hella, 290 x 210 x 120 mm, but often they are custom made.

Attached Files:

5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

Here is a photo of our experimental shade. The length is 320mm from the fwd end of the light. The light is mounted approximately 17m from the bow and 6m above deck. This is more or less the same as the ratio between the length of the shade and the height of the light meaning that we have to obscure the complete light (as seen from deck level).

I thought that the Fresnel lens focused (almost) all light horizontally and that we therefore only should have to block the lower part of the light, i.e. use a shorter shade.

Two notes:
    1. The lens is not really clear and should probably be replaced.
    2. The pattern on the lens is rather "corrugated" than a proper Fresnel cut.
    Can these things increase the dazzling effect?

Best regards!

Attached Files:

7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I would change the lens for sure. Have you tried tilting the light up at all?
  8. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

Yes, I agree with the lens. The light seems to be of the brand "Krachtig" which I can't find on the internet so we probably need to change the whole assembly. (Just a matter of convincing the owner...)

However I don't think that we should tilt the light. That would affect the range and would most likely be illegal. Thanks for helping us to find a solution though!
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Not even Einstein was successful in bending the light, unless you have a black hole onboard. Making a shade is the only solution, regardless of the lens.
  10. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

I don't want to be a "besserwisser" but lenses actually changes the direction of the light rays. The whole purpose of a Fresnel lens is to focus the light in a specific direction.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

Best regards!
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Well, if you make the shade from a Fresnel lens, you are right. Otherwise not.
  12. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

I think "Krachtig" just means "powerful" or "stong" in Dutch. So its probably a Dutch maker. The only one I know of is DHR (Den Haan Rotterdam) but there are doubtless others.
  13. Capt Bill11

I didn't mean for you to tilt it permanently per say. Just wondering if it would have any effect. And if so how much tilting might cause a positive change. If any at all.
  14. Capt Bill11

While a shade will most likely be the answer in the end. I would think that a new clean/clear lens will help direct the light beams in a more proper focused manor. Where as a frosted Fresnel lens would cause them to scatter and lose focus.
  15. mmss1

mmss1 New Member

Thanks for the tip! Ours are probably too old to be found but the DHR
    lights seem to be a good replacement.

Yes, we have decided to try to make a shade but your suggestion to replace
    the lens with a clear one will not only improve the range but hopefully also
    reduce the dazzle.

Thanks to all who have replied!