Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Perko

Autopilot Emergency - Robertson AP20

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ormond Bert54, Jul 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My Robertson AP20 is squawked DEAD on day two of a 300 hour delivery run ... The control head is filled with water.

Any suggestions? I really need to get something working in a day or two.

Currently in the Tampa St Pete area but willing to overnight from anywhere.

Is the AP28 head a plug and play replacement for the AP20? or ... would I need to go through a complete installation including pump, flux gate, control unit .....?

Stressing hard over this one ...

Mike
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You could give there guys a shot and see if they can answer your questions or suggest a remedy to your problem. failing that I guess it is an extra pair of hands and eyes needed to drive it the old fashioned way to your destination.

http://robertsonrepairs.com/aboutus.aspx
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Don't quote me on this but I think I saw an AP20 on THT's classiffieds in the last couple of days.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

if the control head is filled with water, sounds like it's beyond repair... jsut replace it.

I lost the AP last fall jsut when leaving Nantucket (junction box shorted out), had to do the whole trip down to Miami by hand and then 2 runs to the exumas before being able to get it repaired... inconvenient but not a big deal.

assuming you're heading north and around FL, there are many places in FTL where you could get a replacement.
  5. Ormond Bert54

Excellent suggestion ... I sent an email to them!

Thank you.
  6. Ormond Bert54

That is what I would do IMMEDIATELY ... of course, thie problem is that they are discontinued and not available and (as usual the answer is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 to completely remedy the problem).

Plus time.

Let's see ... $4000 for a replacement autopilot ... maybe a NavPilot 500 because I have a Navnet 3D as my primary chartplotter ... $2500 to install ... butI no doubt they will run into lots of issues so I will end up spending ... big surprise $10,000 to solve the problem.

Sorry for the sarcasm ... just amusing that virtually the only f***ing thing I have not replaced on the F***ing boat has now broken!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

repair shops may have used ones or teh parts to repair yours. Or they woudl know which head is compatible with the rest of your system.

In FTL, I used Commercial Marine Electronics to repair the junction box that failed..
  8. thebighawk

thebighawk New Member

Ap20

Navico has started making the AP20 heads and the PCB board that along with the case is the pilot. I believe stillon BO for the pilot, but PCB boards could be still available. If you want to send me a PM I will check for you. Navico not awake at 7:55AM DST.
  9. Ormond Bert54

I did reach Navico yesterday ... was told they did have the AP20 Control Heads and that I should contact one of the Simrad dealers to order one overnight ... called Simrad Martec Palm Beach ... they thought there would be a 2 month wait to get one but when they called, there were 15 IN STOCK ... overnighted that bad boy for $1495!!! That is much less expensive than installing a new autopilot!

So, when the guys arrive Palm Beach FL later today, there will be a new AP20 control head waiting:)

Thanks for the helpful tips.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Nice to read that you are well on the way to having it sorted.

For future reference, Did the Robertson Repairs mob ever reply to your contact?
  11. Ormond Bert54

Yes ... Rich TheRobertsonGuy was very helpful and responded immediately to two posts ... even offered that I had a second viable option to replace the AP20 head with an AP35. This would have been critical information had a new or refurb AP20 head not been available.

Here is his email again.

robertsonrepairs@earthlink.net

Mike
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I had only ever seen their website, it is nice to find out how some of these type people operate. I will bookmark their website for future reference as the Robertson SKR 82 is a gyro I have used a lot and it is often need of some TLC.