Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Trolling Valves?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mark I, Jul 4, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mark I

Mark I Member

What are they and how do they work? Can older boats/engines be retro-fitted to troll slower?

I know that they allow torky diesel boats to troll at slower speeds but that it the extent of my knowledge.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

They are valves that allow a lot of the clutch oil pressure to bleed off and let the clutches slip a bit, you can not run them at anywhere near full power.

Not all G/Boxes can run them, check with the manufacturer of your to find out if they are available for your application.
  3. Mark I

Mark I Member

Thanks
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With the 51 Bertram I used to run we'd have to go to one engine and bring the wheel over going through harbors. Can definitely be a P.I.T.A. in a busy spot :(
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I get used to it and a lot of the sportfishes and fast MY's are that way. Usually you just countersteer one complete turn and you're right on the money.

Trolling valves slip the gears a little as Kiwi said and some transmissions can be added, and yes it will slow the boat down, but what is your goal? Most sportfishes I never use the trolling gears while trolling and just keep 1 engine in gear to slow it down. I prefer the manueverability WITHOUT the trolling valves if we get on a large fish. The trolling valves will also create a lot more delay going into gear, and really shouldn't be shifted with them on.
  6. Mark I

Mark I Member

On one engine I am still doing 4.5 knots. In order to get down to 3.5 I need to bump in and out of gear.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's how it's done and it will drive you mad if you bring that boat south and get stuck on the inside below Beaufort, N.C.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I have trolling valves and use them regularly in shallow water because the slipping clutch allows the props to slip in case I bump bottom. They are not good for manuvering the boat. My idle is 7.0 knts with both engines and 5.5 with one. Not sure about the retro fitting question.