Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Delta

Stabilizer Manufacture Preference

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by cabobo09, Jun 24, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Which Stabilizer Manufacture is prefered?
  2. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

I am planning on using the Seakeeper System on a 85ft boat that I will be having built
  3. m2m

m2m Senior Member

I have had great luck with Naiad stabilizers
  4. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Can anyone comment on the realibility and maintenance aspects such as seal failure, bearing failure and electronic control systems of the major brands.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The only issues I've seen on stabilizers mainly have been hydraulic seal issues, but I'm talking about systems that were made in 1985, and 1988 and both were Naiad. I've also seen cooling pump issues but that's a cheap jabsco or whichever pump.
  6. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

I run a 72 Marlow with Naiad stabilizers and the only problem I've had is dealing with the fin position sensor mounted at the top of the stabilizer. The sensors go out over time, 5 years or so. Simply change them out. Never had a hydraulic leak or failure, the system seems well built and reliable. I have a dedicated cooling pump for the heat exchanger.

The only downside to stabilizer fins is having something else in the water under your hull to worry about.....
  7. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

i had mitsubishi ARG's on my ferretti 63 ... worked flawlessly ...
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How many of these units are you going to have to have on your yacht?

I recently reviewed a proposal to fit them to a 36m Sailboat. They would need to fit 5 Seakeeper units on that boat so it is not really an option.

As for Fin Stabilisers, it is hard to beat these guys.

http://www.quantumhydraulic.com/
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Have you been on a boat that has their MagLift stabilizers on it? If so, do they work well?
  10. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

Seakeeper has said that one large unit will control the 85ft that I am planning.

This will provide at least 60% reduction up to 80% reduction in the rock and roll.

Thanks
  11. ton_meeus

ton_meeus New Member

There are so many around! It is not only Quantum and Naiad. There is Wesmar, ABT with their TRAC stabilizers, Rodriguez, Roll Royce, Voith, CMC marine (electric stabilizers) and probably others.
    For smaller yacht with no hydraulic equipment the new electrically driven stabilizers seem a good alternative. I think the most important part of the stabilizer is the control system. Quantum seems to be the best choice in bigger yachts so my guess would be that their control system is the most sophisticated around.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have seen a lot of electrical issues with the Trac stabilizers. Mostly sensor issues and such.

I personally like Naiad's.
    Dave Ahhr likes this.
  13. nilo

nilo Senior Member

also hydraulic pump issues as well.
    Dave Ahhr likes this.
  14. Bruce Atkinson

Bruce Atkinson New Member

NAIAD verses Quantum

Both stabilizer brands are excellent.
    Hydraulic stabilizers are much more efficent than electric on the actuator. Seals on the NAIAD are reccomended about every 2 years for maximum protection you can go longer but it depends on usage. Not sure what Quantum is but there integrity is always top notch.
    Both have very good electronic gyros, I feel Quantum is the best though on the Electronic Gyro due to the technical staff they have. NAIAD has both Hydraulic Gyro and there Electronic.

I installed 50+ NAIAD systems in vessels out of the Fort Lauderdale...

Admin Edit: Promotional information removed

Look and speak to the companies before signing the dotted line. Enjoy your vessel....
  15. Fishy

Fishy New Member

I had some track stabilizers on a 62 nordhavn that i ran for 3 years

no real problems
    cooling impeller went once , had to shut down the main to change the impellar??????(which is an issue if you only have one )
    Changed seals on the rams once and that was about it ,close on 4000hrs, they worked pretty well for a boat that became unmanagable without them
    Ever seen the bottom of a 62 , its a ball

Oh and it was near immpossible to line up the securing pin holes , but that was minor
  16. jrs1958

jrs1958 New Member

I had Wesmar Stabilizers on a 55 Chris Craft and they were excellent. Never any problems. It was like the boat was on rails!
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Side Power has an ad talking about new curved fins. Looks like a li foil from a race bote.
    Anybody dealt with this design yet?
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes. Have them on a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. Love them. They are not designed for all boats but for boats with similar hull designs in the 40-90' range or so, they are an excellent design from my early experience. They are made by Sleipner/Side-Power. There was test data shown on their site, from a 56' Princess, and sounded too good to be true, but isn't.

The choices on this boat were Seakeeper and these Vector Fins. We just felt the fins were a simpler solution for this specific boat and the way we intend to use it.
  19. Boston whaler

Boston whaler New Member

Not sure how long they have been on the market, but does anyone have experience with Niad E stabilizers (non- hydraulic). Pros and cons of the electric vs hydraulic systems in terms of performance, maintenance and cost?

Would be looking at them for installation on a 58
    Hatteras LRC
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No direct experience with the E stabilizers. BUT, the benefits are that the electric ones react quicker and better in a rough sea. And, electric motors act with full torque immediately. You obviously need enough electrical to run them. Hydraulic is a simple system but lots of hoses and places for it to leak. I know of 2 boats where the gauge blew out in the ER, sprayed all of the hydraulic oil everywhere and in both cases they lost their stabilizers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.