Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Submersion recovery

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by wyattb, Jun 18, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wyattb

wyattb New Member

Gentlemen,
    I am interested in acquiring a 78 Bertram Sportfisher 35' that was a partial submersion due to a bilge pump failure. The vessel was submerged for a total of 6 hours at a depth of 6' while moored at the dock. The engines have not been cleaned or serviced but are easily accessed to begin the process. This would be my first Sportfisher style vessel and is definately a project boat. I was informed the stringer system was not compromised. The asking price for this vessel is $12,000. Is there any concerns that should be addressed? Is this a worthwhile investment for a project? All input and guidance is welcomed. Thank you.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What is this boat worth in good working condition?

If the engines have been allowed to sit for anything more than a few hours after submersion I would say that at least some if not all cylinders will be in need of refurbishment, it doesn't take long for salt to attack the crank and fuel gear either.

If it was underwater it will be a very close thing as to whether it is actually worth repairing or not.
  3. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

Wyattb,

I would start by gutting the entire boat with the exception of mechanical parts; engines and generator. Assuming you can get the motors running again, know that their life has been severely shortened. Appalachicola...was the boat sunk in brackish or salt? (Less salt the better.) All or at least some of the wiring in the boat will be compromised.

There are plenty of project boats out there sitting on the hill with no engines, but you know where this one came from. It won't be a surprise.

Just dry it out and have a deep pocket.
  4. wyattb

wyattb New Member

The boat is actually over at Amelia Island. After the bilge failed the boat sunk low enough for the exhaust to back fill. Water was up to the salon. The engines were left alone thus the asking price. My overall concern was how much money it would take to make her seaworthy again. I looked at some rebuild kits for the Cummins 555 which is what powers her and they were not that expensive. This would be my first experience with this type vessel so I don't have a good grasp of overall cost. However, I have seen some similar boats over in Gulf Shores that are ready to fish for 35K-50K. If the total costs are going to be similar I would not want to invest the time.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have of course not seen the boat, but I think you will end up much higher than 50´before it is finished, plus the job...
  6. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

If you can get one for $35-50,000 ready to go, you'd be better off in the long run then taking on a project like that. IMHO.
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Boat prices are down but fixing them is just as expensive as ever.

For a period of time I thought I was experiencing a discount with regard to repair ... but I don't think so anymore.

Give me a 35 foot boat that has been submerged and I can show you how to spend $100k making her beautiful and mechanically perfect again.

There is of course something to be said for getting your hands on a boat for cheap that will some day be what you want ... but it will just ultimately cost much more than finding one in great condition already.

I have the receipts to prove it!
  8. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

Yeah, unless you are crazy for a Bertram, you should probably just let it go before you dump your money into it. 50k won't go far......
  9. wyattb

wyattb New Member

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A 1978 Bertram 35 would certainly have spent many years in the charter fishing business. That's ridden hard an put away wet. Beyond that, boats don't sink becuse the bilge pump failed. Something else put in the water that couldn't get bilged out. This also would be a very slow SF by todays standards even if in pime condition, probably a 17 kt. cruise. Add to that the $150- $200G (in money or time & effort & parts) that you'll be investing.....
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You would yourself a big favour by walking away from that boat purely because of what powers it.

Those motors were junk in land based vehicles and no better in the water based cousins.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Walk away. There are far too many running sportfishes that size that you can pick up for 10-20k more and use. Forget about the engines and gen, it is better to repower then rebuild. If you have dreamed of restoring a 35' Bertram, repowering it and spending $100k on it to make it your way like some people do, then it's a good boat for them.
  13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Agree with what everyone said. There is no way its economically feasible to put that boat back together. Now, if you envisioned a total cost no object refit then its a good deal, as crazy as it may sound I have a tenant that's got three $500k 31 bertrams refits and two $700k+ 54' bertram refits going on right now. Those numbers don't include the purchase price of the vessels either!
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Had a client once talk with me about the idea of rehabing ang flipping boats like houses. Gave me a good laugh. Told him he'd be better off playing Keno.
  15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The boats I mentioned are being rebuilt by ridiculously wealthy middle easterners who have developed a vintage bertram fetish.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Assumed that. If they were doing it for profit over the past 2 years... :eek:
  17. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Beat me to it! :D

The triple-nickel was more useful where it ended up - on the bottom, as an anchor.