Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

1958 33' chris craft commander

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by t2doof, Jun 16, 2010.

1. t2doof

t2doof New Member

does anyone know if the 1958 commander would of been built with a teak deck? On the topside/bow. There is a cheap original material...im wondering if I rip it up if it would be teak under that or is it just marine plywood..

anyone have a clue? I don't want to rip up what's there if it's not teak decking under it.

thanks!!!!
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

What exactly is the "cheap original material" that you're referring to? Is it a Nautolex vinyl decking? If you could post pictures that would help.

I would doubt if there is teak underneath. It is likely marine plywood. Here is a photo of an original 1955 Commander 33'

Attached Files:

3. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Our first boat was a 1950 CC 34' Commander. The main weatherdeck was covered in painted canvas. I don't think CC started using "Nautalex" until the '60's. In any case, there was marine ply under our canvas. I would think that if your foredeck was planked with teak, the pattern of the boards would "telegraph" through your covering.
    The only woods I recall being used on our 34' were: mahoghany (both ply and plank), white oak (ribs and battens), maple (countertops), and B.C. fir (aft cockpit decking). YMMV.
    If your deck isn't leaking, I'd leave it well enough alone. If it is leaking, maybe just replace with canvas and paint.
    Peter