Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Westport

Mercruiser 8.1 L Horizon gas engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by phildehazya, May 17, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. phildehazya

phildehazya New Member

Hello- I have a 2001 , 370 HP gas engine with only 300 hrs that seems to have sensor problems: water pressure and coolant temp (so far). Motor goes into "safe mode" even when nothing's wrong-except for bad sensors. "Safe mode" means 1000 rpm, no throttle response above that, until the issue is fixed. NOT SAFE.

Any way to bypass "safe mode" if I determine that systems are nominal?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sending you a PM.
  3. about time

about time Member

water pressure and coolant temp are related, are you sure this is a sensor problem? Water pressure sensor is optional on alot of engines, I dont think that alone would cause the brain to go into safe mode. Coolant temp would. Have you tested the sensors? You will be better off fixing the problem than trying to bypass safe mode. If other unrelated sensors are giving problems or intermittent problems, check you grounds, also check capacity and integrity of you batteries.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

If you have dual engines just switch the other engine sensors and see what happens. This will tell you if its the sensors or not. Also look for a wire inside the sensor cap that might be loose.
  5. about time

about time Member

NYCAP123, would really like to know if you know something I dont about bypassing "safe mode", to get home for example.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No. Had seen the problem on a couple and seemed to remember it was a recall issue back then. So I referred phildehazya to a local service manager who had handled the repair and was very familiar with the situation.
  7. about time

about time Member

are you familiar with the repair? perhaps you could enlighten me
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Been too long and I'm not a mechanic, but I seem to remember it was a programing situation not a sensor problem.