Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

the electric revolution

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by summertime, May 1, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. summertime

summertime New Member

hi there from little old New Zealand

my old 1971 Arona diesel has had enough, im contemplating an electric convertion for many reasons

*environmental impact is less
    *quite
    *instant power and talk.
    *takes up less room.
    *no smell

i know there is down sides with running time etc, but there is the option of a small genarator to keep power up. battery technology is getting beter everyday. i see there is a thread about batteries that reads like a novel on here already. regenarating motors that act as dyno, puting power back into the battery bank seems like a great idea

is it to good to be true? does anyone have any experience in the mater?

help needed in making deciscion and in setting it up if i do go with it

jonny
  2. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I'm definitely by far not a particularry knowlegeable man, but when I happened to research similliar topic just a few years ago, the first and most obvious downside for a fancy propulsion like this was that given the same power output, it costed times more then a conventional diesel, the difference that wasn't compensated by any promised savings in operation costs (if there really are any).

Besides, as far as I know, way not every marine is equipped with enough power output to recharge batteries of "main power" capacity magnitudes, possibly limiting your travel options even further then the loss in running time suggests.

Again, just an inter-plug before someone more knowlegeable arrives.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I've got a few minutes between calamities and have watched this thread go without much comment for a while so why not jump in with my opinion? It's a fun topic anyway.

*The environmental impact is less at the time and place the boat is running on batteries. How green it is at other times is a political and social debate.

*It is quiet when the little genset isn't thumping and crashing away.

*Excellent control response, yes.

*The volume of the propulsion plant might not be less, it could well be more on a small boat.

*That little genset won't have the efficiency and clean exhaust of a larger engine so will actually be dirtier than the large engine unless you add a (large volume) device to process the exhaust.

If it had the capacity to keep up you could use it instead of batteries and put the cost of batteries, controls, and motor into exhaust treatment or alternative fuels like natural gas or culturally and socially acceptable bio-fuels. (good luck finding one)

Regeneration doesn't work too well on a boat. Regenerative is normally the first part of a two word term, the second word is usually "braking" and that isn't something boats do very often, certainly not for more than a few moments at a time. A sailboat can drag a prop to "recover" some of the power delivered by the sail but that is at the expense of speed.

Many of the claims by those selling the hardware and those promoting the concept raise that question. But again, the "good" part has a lot to offer in the right place on the right boat at the right time so it all depends on where you are and what you want to do.

I believe that if you are looking at only an energy balance sheet, it isn't even worth consideration at the moment. If you have another agenda or justification then the tradeoffs might be acceptable. But, if you have to be on the water and want to be green ... there might be more effective ways to reduce your total impact on the environment.

A few years running around in battery powered, hybrid, and diesel electric boats, just enough to be very skeptical and slightly cynical about some of the claims and fantasies surrounding the subject.
  4. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

from electrics ..

Electric energy has always an environment foot print. Where the enegergy comes from?

We have in Germany a big discussion about electric cars. I learned that an 100% electric car has the same environment footprint like a 1gallon/100km car.

Using natural energy need the right equipment. How many energy is needed to produce solar cells (and don't forget the poisons in production processes) ?

From IT we have the TCO (total cost of ownership) method, this should be used for electric cars and ships.

We have to pay for energy, anyway...
  5. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

The solution to not using diesel engine power could perhaps come from the environment.

Perhaps if we rigged some poles and hung some cloth from them, cunningly tied to the hull we could use them for some sort of motive power.

Just need to think of a catchy name... eco-enviromental pressure differential transference actuators? :D
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Before you get too excited about cruising around the Marlborough Sounds have you given much consideration to the longterm charging of your batteries?

If you are a long term tenant the Port of Marlborough has a form for you.

http://www.marlboroughmarinas.co.nz...956eb915a762680c5dc04134/powerapplication.pdf

Given what you have told the forum you are hoping to replace with this clean green technology have you taken some time to do the maths?

What is the boat that this old diesel that has worn out in actually worth? I am not talking about any fond memories it may hold for you but a dollar and cents figure.

You might be better to repower with something similar or repair your old banger ( It seems lots of those are Lombardini based, so some parts should be available and with good Kiwi ingenuity you should be able to make the rest) and sell the boat. Use the money you save from a new engine repower or electric conversion to move up in the boating world.

A bigger boat will give you more room to relax and to bring back any deer and pigs you can nail on the foreshore from the comfort of your cockpit as you cruise by.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Not to mention it is butt ugly.......
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It looks better after a few drinks.