Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Trouble with Teak

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ormond Bert54, Apr 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

The stress is on as my 5 month project to freshen up my 1984 Bertram 54 is scheduled to wrap up within a month.

One of the things I really like about the boat is the teak. It's got a wonderful color that I really like. I even ran into the carpenter who did a great deal of the woodwork on the boat 10 years ago.

As I ran into problems like rotted forward bulkhead on the helm, rotted doors under the instrument panel, need to rebuild the headboard on the master bed, installation of new TV in the salon, my answer was easy ... TEAK!

Here is the problem ... the look of some of the new teak is NOT what I like and it's just killing me.

Here is a photo of the salon when I purchased the boat.

Here is new custom surround for the television in the salon ... notice the dark black grain in the wood.

And the new master headboard. The trim is the correct color but the headboard has the black grain and it's not the look I want.

The wrap for the TV in the salon and the headboard are both done in Teak plywood and I'm inclined to believe this is the problem. But ... my carpenter says the teak plywood is no different from the teak plywood used elsewhere in the salon which looks fine.

The same Schooners Varnish is used on all the teak.

My carpenter is going to take several samples of this same teak plywood and apply different varnish, epoxy etc finishes to see if we can come up with something I like but I tend to believe it's the wood itself.

To add to the frustration, my carpenter says that the dark grain will lighten up over time and will be the SAME as the rest of the teak on the boat! Hard for me to believe.

Attached Files:

2. RER

RER Senior Member

It's true that with enough exposure to natural light, over time the new teak will lighten up. And teak veneer on plywood is no different than solid teak as far as the wood surface. But the quality of most of the teak that is available today is not as good as what was available 25 years ago. Today there is more dark stain, and more sap wood. In other words, there is more color variation in today's teak. A result of more pressure on foresting logs and cuttings that would not have made the grade in decades past. Some would consider the variation in color and grain a part of the natural organic beauty of wood.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Yes indeed. In doing yacht refit, one must at some point, embrace the color variation of natural materials.

We have tried to match teak interior veneers where the color varied from port to starboard in the same saloon due to the sun exposure. The color will change with age, no doubt.

On that headboard, by the time you get your mattress, pillows, bedspread and shams on there- you won't see the headboard anyway. In the other applications, consider a variation/contrast in the wood or grain. Perhaps by introducing a burl accent.

There are also some other woods with a similar grain to teak that could be used and then stained to match existing. Take a look at "Anigre".

The work in your photos looks good. Perhaps give it some time to season and see how it looks.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Teak

One would hope with "farm teak" that the grain and color would be more consistant, maybe there is a mixture from the supplier of natural and farm ?
  5. Ormond Bert54

Thanks for your replys ... my carpenter is sending several samples of the teak he is using with a variety of finishes applied.

One possiblity for the forward helm bulkhead and storage area is to epoxy with clear awlgrip. This is how he has done the fighting chair and helm chairs.
  6. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

It looks fantastic to me, what product did you use on the teak?
  7. Ormond Bert54

Everything in the photos is Schooners Varnish ... I like the look of the Salon that was done years ago using Schooners Varnish but I'm less happy with the TV surround and the headboard that was just done with The same product (Schooners. Varnish)

I'm going to do the forward helm in 2 coats epoxy followed by 2 coats awlgrip high gloss clear ... based on some samples I'm happy with the way that looks and it's supposed to be very durable.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The key to working with wood or any other natural product is picking your pieces; a very time consuming and often expensive procedure. There's enough variation out there to get what you want if you're willing to pay the price of finding it, but there will always be some compromise.
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Honestly, I think high gloss on interior woods end up making them look like plastic. But it's your boat.

A true master re-finisher/touch up artist might be able to get the wood to look the way you want it to. Or as NYCAP mentioned looking through a lot of wood. But only you can decide if it would be worth the cost.

I think the differences in wood can add character to it. But that's just me. :)

Good luck.
  10. Ormond Bert54

It's been a tough process ... the boat is 600 miles away ... I'm working through a local Captain and a bunch of subs ... and at this point, I'm sick of it. Ready to get the boat close to home and use it for a season. Should be ready to depart the Orange Beach area June 7th and that date cannot come soon enough!

I agree that choosing the correct pieces of wood based on grain and appearance is key to the outcome I am looking for. I will get back into it next season when I have some extra dough and the boat is close to home.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Doing a job like that from 600 miles away is tough. I'm way too much of a control freak to pull that off. A few years back we were having work done. As captain, I was in the yard every few days or so with donuts for the guys, talking with them about the work and checking things out. I still couldn't stop the yard from screwing the job. Can't imagine how it is as an owner that leaves his boat in the fall with a list; comes back in the spring and things are wrong or worse.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Be lucky you're getting only black coming out of the grain. I just had two teak tables made and had a weird green and blue color coming out of the grain on one table after it was finished and it didn't show before hand. It looked like you took crayons and followed the grain. The entire table had to be scrapped it was that bad.
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Bayside bert

I have a 50 Post with exquiste interior teak. There are variations throughout the boat which I think enhance the look. If you are concerned about the "browner" teak, the proper application of a "lightener" to the wood before refinishing is a pretty standard remedy. But make sure your finisher shows you sample lightened finishes first. Also, some mills shoot an oil over their finished boards that needs to be wahed off before finishing.

She is beauty from what I see!
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

BTW, look at that teak and holly floor in your first picture - beautiful contrasts!
  15. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

I have had alot of experience refinishing sailboat interiors and exterior teak and have had very good results using Bristol Finish. They have exterior gloss and satin and interior satin products that look great and last a lot longer than spar varnishes. However, it appears you are already too far along on this project to change finishes now. If you have any exterior wood, you may want to "test" an area with this finish. Good luck; the interior pictures look great.