Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Is there any definitive proof showing......

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by vlafrank, Apr 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

which engine brand lasts the longest in yacht service? Cats? MANs? MTUs? Deutz? Cummins? John Deere? DDs? And does anyone know why no one uses Isotta Fraschinis as OEM engines? Tom Fexas, for one, used to sing their praises as being light, fast and robust. I'm looking for hard data here, not just personal opinions, although those are welcome too. And can anyone tell me if the German engines, horse for horse, are more expensive than American brands? Many thanx, as this has been on my mind. Mean time between overhauls is an important indicator for me. :confused:
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I think that "definitive" will be pretty hard to establish for such a broad application as "yacht service" since few yachts operate exactly the same or are maintained the same or even put many hours per year on a propulsion engine. Yacht service doesn't exactly fit the best model for longevity.

However, there are yachts running around with direct reversing diesels that were built in the 1920s. You could say they lasted the longest, that is certainly definitive, but is that what you are looking for?

From an engineering point of view, some of the Italian high performance diesels are magnificent pieces of art and engineering, they are among the most beautiful to look at and and the performance is amazing. But, that kind of performance comes at a cost, and like any thoroughbred, they have a short working life because high output and low weight comes from high BMEPs and piston speeds. Some of the elements that give them such high performance also lead to a requirement for the kind of care and attention that a long lived but stodgy old lump of iron doesn't need.
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

There very well could be much better engines than the main stream motors that we see in the yachting industry regularly,
    But the fact that parts and service availabilities are very strong will out weigh a lot of other factors.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Hear, hear. Maintainability is just as important as reliability. No one has ever built an engine that won't break sooner or later.
  5. Who services Isotta Fraschini marine engines in the Annapolis area? CAT, MTU, MAN, Volvo Penta all have service networks through out the world.

As a broker people ask me all the time which is best, or how long will brand X last and I can not say. There are too many variables. The biggest engine killer is lack of use and then lack of maintenance, and this will affect all makes of engines.