Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Walker

Flybridge stereo power re-wiring question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by goplay, Apr 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. goplay

goplay Senior Member

I am looking to upgrade the cheap-o marine stereo on the fly bridge.

What I am thinking of doing will require more power to the fly bridge than the meager DC power cable that is currently run to the area. My peak power requirements at 12V would be in the 35A range (amps, sub woofers, etc).

I believe these are my options:

1) Run new DC power cable from the panel. This would be difficult given the #6 gauge required.

2) Install a AC-DC power converter in an enclosed dry area in the fly bridge. This would allow thinner guage 115VAC power to be run to the fly bridge, and a shorter run of DC cable. Downside is a decent power converter is expensive, and is actively cooled (fan). The genset (or shorepower) is normally running on the boat.

3) Install a battery and battery charger in the fly bridge. Same benefits of #2, but a battery charger is a little cheaper and probably more reliable than a power converter since it can be lower power. Downside, it is a little clumsier of an installation with the battery box, etc.

Thoughts and recommendations?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Or you can install it down somewhere and use a remote control. Then it is just loudspeaker cables you need to the fly.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Low frequency noise really bothers whales. Get some wireless headphones and spare your neighbors the ghetto blaster experience. :rolleyes:
  4. goplay

goplay Senior Member

That's a possibility... I would need to go with a non-powered sub. Running out of space in the lower equipment area though.
  5. GFC

GFC Senior Member

LOUD STEREOS ALSO BOTHER OTHER BOATERS!!! I second the notion to get some wireless headsets and not force others to listen to your music.

Sorry, but you don't own the water or the air above it. It's there for all of us to enjoy in the manner WE want, not in the manner you FORCE upon us.

$.02
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, but whales get more sympathy.

I have this (gruesome) image of a Bayliner rigged up with modified zero speed stabilizers connected to the audio output so that the fins act like hydraulic jacks on a low-rider and bump the hull up and down a couple of feet in tune with a rap beat ...
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Guys,

GoPlay asked a detailed and valid technical question about upgrading a stereo on his flybridge. Show me a yacht that doesn't have a serious system onboard and I'll stay on the moderating sidelines. At no point did he mention the installation of hydraulic shocks, 22" tires or fuzzy dice.

While I equally detest loud music, do we really need to use this thread to voice disdain?
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

9. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

An additional battery on the bridge isn't all that bad an idea, if for no other reason than backup emergency power for communication as required for all commercial fishing vessels. If done with an AGM or spiral battery, spilled fluids aren't a worry and you can usually find an extra output on your existing battery charger you can use to maintain the charge. Running a 6/3 cable would allow you to use it as a backup house bank and even start an average genset if the lower bank fails. Be sure to use an appropriate breaker on it's hot lead!
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Probably won't feed 20 or 30 amps for very long though. It would take a pair if 8Ds to power the thing for a day on the water followed a full night of charging.
  11. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Agreed, without a charging source a group 31 AGM will only last about 3 hours at a 25A load but he did say the boat was normally on shore power or had a genset running.
  12. goplay

goplay Senior Member

What a tough crowd... ignorant *and* judgemental . Jeez!

'nuff said.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yeah, you better get a sailing boat and an iPod...:D
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Talk about ignorant *and* judgmental ... you should at least spell your insults correctly.

Didn't you get the information you asked for, along with a couple of alternatives?
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, who needs to hear all that VHF chatter and whistle signals anyway?
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Agreed. GoPlay, you bailed on YF a while ago due to bickering, but you return because the members of this site actually do offer valuable help. Your follow up comment was completely uncalled for. This time, shame on you.
  17. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Who's trying to be insulting?

To answer your question, and back on topic, that is an inexpensive power supply you/Marmot reference. Without knowing more, my worry would be its humidity and temperature range rating. I suspect it isn't that well built, given the number of grates the case has, suggesting small heat sinks, lots of airflow needed for fan cooling or both. It would probably be OK in a temperature controlled space. Charles Industries makes a line of power supplies which seem to be "marine", at least from the spec... and from the price.

The added benefit of a battery, as someone noted, is it does provide a independant power source for a back-up VHF radio, something that I had been considering for the boat. Never had a problem with the boat's electrical systems, but after cruising over 5,000 miles in the last 10 months, redundancy is something I appreciate. Not if but when!

I don't think it would need a massive battery bank, since the genset is normally running. A 25A charger should be plenty.

Besides I only need to run my stereo loud enough for the short time it takes to annoy GFC! :p
  18. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Well, I do think the comments were ignorant and judgmental. A technical question about running power brings responses about "owning the water and air above" and "spare your neighbors the ghetto blaster experience".

How did my questions warrant that kind of ignorant (you don't know me) and judgmental (you don't know how I am going to use my system) response?

Anyhow, par for the course for public forums...
  19. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

You would almost think you have a couple of old guys who like reading these forms!
    Rock on Goplay!
    Play it louder!!!
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It's a switching power supply and they are very efficient, about twice that of a linear supply so the heat dissipation is much much less. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a boat and if it had to live in an enclosed space I would just put a small muffin fan on the side and power it off the output so it is on whenever the unit is powered up.