Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

30KW Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Manny, Apr 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Anyone have any information regarding this generator? As far as I know they are good generators, but how do these compare to other brands? For how many hours can they go without rebuild?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you are thinking of the model from the early 90:s, I think it was based on a John Deere, I had a couple with no issues over five years. Only one starter got a crack in a forged part giving an earth fault that was hard to track down.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Have never had a problem with Northern Lights, in any flavor, 30KW, larger / smaller. Other than expected ware and tear, it's an awesome genset.
  4. Manny

Manny Senior Member

any remarks on how many hours they can last?
  5. travler

travler Senior Member

i have 3 northern lights on the boat i currently have and the 40 kw has 27000hrs on it now and still works very well the 30 kw has 22000 on it and the hotel gen set 22 kw has 31000 on it all i do is change oil every 150 hrs and do the overhead every year other than routine maintence a couple of water pumps starters and alternaters every thing is still 1988 model

hope this helps

travler
  6. Manny

Manny Senior Member

thanks! this really helped
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I think our oldest genset only has about 12,000 hours on it total, but same thing as traveler- maintained on a regular schedule, service as needed, and you'll get a good long life out of it.

My Father has a Northern genset in a camper / trailer that probably has 40 or 50K hours on it. Still runs like a top. Other than brushes and normal service, it too runs like a top.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What does "do the overhead" actually entail?
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The Sea Deuce has a NL 30KW and I love it. No issues in the 6 years I've been on the boat.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I was told by Northern lights they'll go 40k hours in a commercial 24/7 (more or less) use setting and less hours in a pleasure boat. They are a great genset, parts are cheap in comparison, and much better then Onan, Westerbeke, Kohler IMO
  11. travler

travler Senior Member

KIWI
    when i do the overhead i do the valve lash check the valve springs check the cam timeing if it is starting to change i look for geartrain failure check the timeing on the fuel pump & usualy leak the motor down
    does this help

travler