Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Advice on Stripping bottom paint

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Fred, Mar 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I need to haul out and do some blister repair on my '82 37' Tolleycraft. My plan is to strip, grind, dry, fair, sand and apply barrier coatings then paint and splash. My question is what harm will be done to the fiberglass and gel coat if I use household paint stripper containing Methylene Chloride. I understand that this will have some effect on the gel coat but is this a big concern since I will be applying 4 or 5 coat of epoxy barrier coating. Thoughts/advice? Fred
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've never seen anyone in the yards down here use a liquid stripper and don't think it works well on bottom paint. Soda blasting the bottom paint off works really well and doesn't hurt the gelcoat in anyway and is very popular. I don't know how many blisters you have, but a lot of times they'll use a peeler and peel the bottom paint off, but it also takes a thin layer of fiberglass etc. If you have tons of blisters it seems to be the preferred method as it takes a lot of the blisters surface away and you let them dry at that point, grind them, fill them, and start putting your epoxy barrier coat on. The boat I had done, they did 6 coats of barrier coating.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Unless you are planning to bring the temp of the matrix up to 90*C for 10 minutes and post curing it, don't bother fixing blisters. Nothing works as the blisters are developed from pockets of uncured styrene in the laminate (polyester post 1972 reformulation to meet VOC requirements). No matter what you do, they will reoccur. Just paint the bottom and save your money. There is no such thing as "a barrier coat" against blisters in polyester regardless of what someone is trying to sell you. You can hide the problem by laminating another layer or two on with vinylester or epoxy then fairing it, but the root problem in the polyester substrata will still be there. Reality is though, it's not enough of a problem to worry about, and when it gets bad enough to start leaking, sink the boat and collect the insurance. When insurance companies start denying coverage because of blisters, you'll know they are an actual safety concern. To date, I haven't heard of such a denial.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capt Fred

I think that Capt Henning was teasing you about the sinking, but he is dead on about the root cause of blistering - poor fiber saturation during hull lay up. I do know, however, of a couple of boat owners that benefitted from barrier coating. Don't skimp on the number of coats or the qualitity of the materials. Are you in the water year round, or do you haul for the winter? That will make a significant difference in the success of barrier coating.
  5. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Captains, thanks for your input. I really appreciate your expertise. Fred
  6. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Blisters are indeed caused by defects in the gelcoat/layup but they are fixable and preventable. The real issue is water getting in between the gelcoat and the laminate.
    We fix blistered boats in my yard every day. Leaving them there and painting over them is not something I would advise.
    Left un-addressed they will get larger and more numerous. Your boat will get heavier and slower. The cost to repair them will also go up at the problem gets worse. Anti-fouling paint is fairly porous and does little to actually protect the bottom. It just retards fouling and growth.
    Blistering problems tend to vary with region. We have pretty severe problems with blisters here. I have seen ten year old boats that have never had a problem come to our area and blister the entire bottom in six months.
    We encourage applying an epoxy barrier coat (between 5 and 9 coats) to prevent blisters or to seal in a repaired bottom.
    Once water gets into the laminate, there is always the chance that blisters can re-appear even after a good repair job. The best thing to do is to get that epoxy on the hull as soon as you can so you never have to deal with this problem. You only have to do it once. Subsequent bottom jobs can be done over the epoxy job. It is also better not have a "blister history" on you boat when it comes time to sell it.
    Pascoe and Interlux paints both have excellent write ups about blistering that should be helpful to anyone wanting the facts.
    I would post links to the articles but that is frowned on here. They are easy enough to find.
    As a side note, this is one more reason (among many) that I don't like boats with cored bottoms. If the core gets wet, you can actually get blistering that comes from the inside. This is extremely difficult to permanently fix.
    If you have a cored bottom take great care to protect the outside with epoxy and the inside by keeping the bilge as dry as possible.
  7. H Bolger

H Bolger New Member

Excellent response, if I could just add one more detail, there is a way to force dry the laminate, using heat and vacuum. Once the gelcoat is peeled, you use this system to force dry the laminate, it works awesome. I dont think I can post the system name on here, I've already had my hand slapped, lol. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the link to the companys website. We have used this system ourselves, it works very well, the jist of the system is it uses heat and vaccuum to pull the moisture out of the laminate. We set the temp at 85 dg c, and usually leave the mats on for appox 8-12 hrs. We then coat the bottom with an epoxy bottom coating, usually about 6 coats.. If you have the bottom peeled, and they do a good job, very little fairing is nessesary.
  8. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Guys, great input. I have seen the Interlux info and following that process. The boat is on the hard and I have about 25% of the bottom peeled. All but two of the new blisters not previously repaired are very shallow, just below the gelcoat, two went into the skin out layer. I'll update later with some pix. Again thanks for your help. Fred
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Be sure to let us know how the bottom looks next year....
  10. H Bolger

H Bolger New Member

update

Just wondering what process you ended up following, if you dont mind, could you state what you did from start to finish..........
  11. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

The big box store paint stripping method was not very effective so I ground off the paint and gel coat to the fiberglass mat. Blistered and hydrolyzed areas were ground until good glass. The boat air dried until I got good water content reading. I used West Systems epoxy over the bare fiber glass and then while still uncured used West Systems and Cab-o-Sil (consistency of Mayo) to fill divots, while still uncured I covered the bottom with West Systems mixed with red micro balloons and Cabo-o-Sil (1 qt Cab-o-Sil to 2 pounds of red micro balloons). Allowed to cure then sanded to fair hull. Applied six coat of Interlux EP200O barrier coats every 3 hours and after 5 hours applied Interlux Ultra bottom paint in black then applied two more coat of bottom paint in blue. While the hull was drying I applied 4 coats of AwlGrip to hull topsides and fly bridge. I was out of the water a little over two months and accomplished many more maintenance items however I worked long hours mostly by myself to get it done in this short period of time.

Attached Files: