Click for MotorCheck
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for Walker
Click for Ferretti
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Nordhavn
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > 30A to 50A changeover

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

30A to 50A changeover

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

It s hard to give you precise advice since we re not sure of what the boat has

looking at that picture the cable looks small to be 120/240-50, it looks like. 120-50. This would explain why there seem to be 2 inlets on the pic and 2!listed in the listing

if so, you can plug either one to a 50 to 30 amp adapter. This will give you up to 30 amp service limited and protected by the 30 amp breaker onthe dock

if you don't gave any 220v appliances (stove compressor or dryer) you van plug the second one into an another outlet without worry about opposing phase

I do suspect tha 15 years ago sea Ray was still using "small boat" stuff and 120/50 was still popular

now if this is a 120/240-50 cord you need a smart y which will only activate with both legs hooked up and on opposing phase.

I use smart Ys once in a while on the 70 I run when stopping at marinas that don't have two 120/240-50 outlets. It works fine although we can't run everything obviously
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

IMO you can't go further without knowing what is on the boat now.

My setup has a single 50 and a single 30. I can use the 30 in a pinch but you have to watch the draw. Block heaters and AC together are a no-no with just 30 amps.

My previous summer slip had only 30 and it is managable if you are just using AC for dehumidification at the dock.
Mark I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal
It s hard to give you precise advice since we re not sure of what the boat has

looking at that picture the cable looks small to be 120/240-50, it looks like. 120-50. This would explain why there seem to be 2 inlets on the pic and 2!listed in the listing

if so, you can plug either one to a 50 to 30 amp adapter. This will give you up to 30 amp service limited and protected by the 30 amp breaker onthe dock

if you don't gave any 220v appliances (stove compressor or dryer) you van plug the second one into an another outlet without worry about opposing phase

I do suspect tha 15 years ago sea Ray was still using "small boat" stuff and 120/50 was still popular

now if this is a 120/240-50 cord you need a smart y which will only activate with both legs hooked up and on opposing phase.

I use smart Ys once in a while on the 70 I run when stopping at marinas that don't have two 120/240-50 outlets. It works fine although we can't run everything obviously
I have never ever seen searay use 120 volt 50amp shorecords. Remember Searay's are built on the east coast, and the 120volt 50amp is a west coast thing. I have run a 100 different Searays and most of them will have 1 120volt 30amp shorepower cord, even if the boat was wired for a 240volt 50amp cord. I'm willing to bet money that that spare cord is a 120volt 30amp connection.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think you should talk to the marina manager before you do much else.
Besides the fact that we really donít know what you have for power cords on the boat, you also donít know what might be available from the marina.

Even though there is only one 30 amp outlet at the pedestal, the cable FEEDING the pedestal may have enough conductors to make an additional 30 amp 125 volt outlet a pretty easy fix.
I know that every outlet in our little marina was wired this way and that was done 30 years ago.
Any electrician that has a little knowledge of boats would most likely take this into consideration.
As Pascal pointed out, the outlets must be opposing phases to work without a hazard.
Further, if you are a good customer, ie; buy stuff from the marina, spend money at the marina, they are more likely to install a bigger cable & outlet for you.
Our marina has done installed 60ís for folks pretty much on demand, especially if the customer is going to stay and pays their bills on timeÖÖ.
They may ask you for help on the cost, although our marina does not, they consider it an overall upgrade.
They also have the capacity to add more load, which is also a factor the marina manager would prolly know.

Get the real specs on the boat cords.
Talk to the marina people.
Thatís where to start.
chesapeake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
GFC

I emailed the selling broker yesterday and received this reply:

"She have the following
50/125 or 50/240
She has 2 cable masters for each . You only need to us one to run the entire boat."

I think to get a definitive answer I'm going to have to talk to the surveyor and wait until the he checks the boat. He's doing that on Tuesday.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC
I emailed the selling broker yesterday and received this reply:

"She have the following
50/125 or 50/240
She has 2 cable masters for each . You only need to us one to run the entire boat."

I think to get a definitive answer I'm going to have to talk to the surveyor and wait until the he checks the boat. He's doing that on Tuesday.
It's very simple, just look at the plugs coming out of the boat. It will say right on them what they are. It sill say "50/125", or "250/125, 50" Most Sea Ray's that size use a single 250, 50. My 500 Sea Ray uses a singe 220volt 50amp to run the whole boat. Another thing you can do is to take a look at one of the A/C units and see if it says 220volt on it. Also, your shore power panel should differentiate 220 and 110 systems.
This is not as confusing as it sounds. If you look at the ends of the plug on your cords, the answer is right there.
If your A/C's run on 220, the twin 30 Y adapter will not work to run the whole boat. The marina will need to get 220 to the dock if that is the case.
geriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
GFC

I should know the answers to my questions tomorrow. I talked with the surveyor today and asked him to specifically check on that when he does the survey tomorrow. He'll give me a call to discuss the results of the survey and let me know.

All of you will be the first ones I tell.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
GFC

From the surveyor's report......

One 50 Amp at 240 VAC and one 50 Amp at 120 VAC

I've already contacted the marina via email to let them know I would need 50A service. No word back from them on what their plans are.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC

I've already contacted the marina via email to let them know I would need 50A service. No word back from them on what their plans are.
You will need to figure out if your A/C units run on 240. If they do you will have no A/C with a 50 120 only at the dock.

The shore power panel should also tell you if you have a 240 bank and what is on it. You really don't have enough info yet for the Marina to do the right thing unless they can get you both.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC

You can plug a 50amp 120VAC into a 30amp 120VAC with an adapter with no ill effects as long as you don't use more then 30amps on the boat and do not try to run any 240vac appliances. But as long as you keep you're 120VAC load under 30 amps you will be fine.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
You can plug a 50amp 120VAC into a 30amp 120VAC with an adapter with no ill effects as long as you don't use more then 30amps on the boat and do not try to run any 240vac appliances. But as long as you keep you're 120VAC load under 30 amps you will be fine.
Correct
but the 50/240 is another story....
if there is no 220 on the dock no adapter will make that one work.
He could do as you suggest and light up the house and maybe the battery chargers by adapting the 110 side up from a 30, but most boats with 220 will have the A/C units, stove, and water heater on the 220 side so those will not work .

Someone may have modified this boat and it may be different but I have personally owned several Sea Ray's in this size range and they all have had 220volt A/C systems (which actually work much better than the 110volt versions). Maybe his surveyor or broker can tell us about the A/C units.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
GFC

It seems there may be an easy fix to this problem. I spoke with the marina administration today and found that when the marina was built there were a limited number of slips (mine included) that were provided with 50A/220V power to the terminals.

Now it's just a matter of making sure my male connector on the shore power cord matches up with the female connector on the shore power terminal.

When I sea trial the boat on 4/2 I'll take a photo of the 50A/220V connector and see if it will mate up to the female connector.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC
It seems there may be an easy fix to this problem. I spoke with the marina administration today and found that when the marina was built there were a limited number of slips (mine included) that were provided with 50A/220V power to the terminals.

Now it's just a matter of making sure my male connector on the shore power cord matches up with the female connector on the shore power terminal.

When I sea trial the boat on 4/2 I'll take a photo of the 50A/220V connector and see if it will mate up to the female connector.
Quote:
What any marina would be doing with a 60x20 slip with one 30 amp outlet boggles the mind unless it's a work or transient slip
That makes more sense. Sounds like you're all set. You should have no problem with the match up. You'll see 2 L legs and corresponding slots on the outlet. Enjoy the summer.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Smile Is it 220volt or 125 volt?

Just look at the male plug from your boat, if the male plugs has the legs with two dog legs it is 220 volt. If it has two plain legs and one dog leg it is 50 amp 125 volt. Then decied what you want to do.
yachts4fun is offline   Reply With Quote