Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

can BilgeKote be tinted?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 54' Bertram, Mar 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

my Bert was gecoated in oyster white and it carries down to the engine room. since I'm not painting the whole ER, I'd like the paint to match as close as possible. so, can BilgeKote be tinted?

Tom
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sure. Find a good paint store and bring a chip of your old paint and they can match it. An auto supply paint store that sells bilgekote would be your best bet. Although I've only seen bilgekote in grey.

Awlgrip works well in the engine room and can be mixed any color also and might be what you have.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Awlgrip is or until the duff formula they use now came along an excellent Engine and Machine Room Paint.

It cannot however be used where it might be submerged for any time namely the bilges without it bubbling and coming off.
  4. H Bolger

H Bolger New Member

Bilgecoat is also available in white, we use it all the time, and yes it can be tinted, we use a few drops of uerathane pigment.
  5. Pescaloco

Pescaloco New Member

White bildge kote, can be tinted with acrylic tints same as are used for gelcoat color matching
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is a quandry for the OP.

The last 2 posters both say Bilgekote can be tinted one says use Urethane pigment the other says use Acrylic Tints.

Which Poster has given the correct answer?
  7. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

I'm thinking Urethane since Bilgekote is solvent based rather than acrylic, which I think is water based. good question. maybe I should shoot an email to Interlux and ask the question since there seems to be several opnions offered here.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Personally I would tend to agree with the Urethane Pigment answer as the last time I used Bilgekote it sure was not Acrylic but I don't know if the current "formula" is the same as it's original composition.
  9. Pescaloco

Pescaloco New Member

The quantaties needed to tint are very small

A few drops a Raw Sienna colored tint used for tinting Gelcoat will work fine and will change the bright white to an off white / oyster.

It may actually take two or three different color tints to make the Oyster color that is desired.

Please do advise what Interluxe has to say
  10. H Bolger

H Bolger New Member

I believe both are correct. Urethane paint systems are available in both Polyester Urethane, and Acrylic Urethane formulations. the difference is the resin of the the paint system. Both are solvent based systems.

Polyester, and Acrylic are the resins, and the Urethane is the binder. So it is possible to have both types of paint, and still be a Urethane. For example, Awlgrip is a polyester urethane, and Awlcraft is an acrylic urethane. The Awlgrip is considered the better of the two, because polyester resin molecules are smaller, createing a denser crosslinked finish when cured.

The new water based paints, can be acrylic based, but not polyester based. That sometimes creates some confusion, acrylic is associated with water based house paint, as it is the most common type of water based paint on the market today.

Although over the past 5-6 yrs, water based, base coat clear coat systems are common place in the automotive refinshing industry. The pigments for gelcoat are polyester based. There are epoxy gelcoats, but not usually found in the boat building industry.

If you would like use to either system to tint your bilgecoat, a few drops at a time of a yellow oxide pigment will get you close, another drop of black pigment will " muddy" it up and be very close to what you need, but remember, these are concentrated pigments, a drop goes a long way.

One last tip, depending on how close you would like this to be, paint usually dries a different shade than when wet.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

for the poster that asked, here is the reply I got from interlux:

Good Afternoon Tom,

Unfortunately we do not recommend tinting any of our products since the pigment formulation happening at the beginning of our process. We do have the Oyster White in our Perfection two part polyurethane line up however it will be a high gloss finish (that can be flattened using our flattening agent for two part finishes).

Hope this helps and sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Joe
  12. H Bolger

H Bolger New Member

I would expect no other response from any paint company. Their paints are engineered to certain performance expectations, any adding or modifing of the product could be detrimental to its performance.
    In this case, a few drops of of pgment into a product that will not be subject to any extreme traffic, UV, or constant contact, should perform just fine.Bilgecoat is a great product, easy to use, single stage, and actually made to be subjected to all the products that end up in the bilge.
    I think it would be the lesser of the evils, to tint Bilgecoat, than to use a product that is not made to perform in that type of enviroment.

Anybody else??
    Not that it makes it right, but we have been doing it for many years....
  13. Pescaloco

Pescaloco New Member

Thanks

That also is about what I would expect them to say.
  14. Happy

Happy New Member

As usual we always paint Gel-coat in the bilge. The paint will fall out, for the bilgewater erode.