Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Water softeners

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GrahamF, Feb 18, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi

I would like some info on water softeners and i have seen several different models. Wetspot is the known one. The other one i looked at is stain-Less Water Filter Softener! Can anybody with experience with these units give me some advice.

Thanks
  2. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Sorry I don't know the specific models you mention, but her is my $0.02

The model we use on a 50M is sold in Europe by Octo Marine as the 'compact package':

www.octomarine.fr

It is easy to fit, a minimum of 2.5 bar water pressure is required and a drain point is necessary for when it flushes the resin with brine.

The South of France service is excellent and the vendor visits with a van periodically so you can top up on consumables such as filters and salt.

The unit itself is self contained and needs no power, monthly you sterilise the brine tank and top up the salt pastilles as required, it is adjustable for different water hardness areas; a kit is available to help you decide what setting is required.

You need to ensure that when isolating fresh water you close the outlet valve on the softener first to ensure it stays pressurised to prevent the elements both being in regeneration when you restart.

How much salt you use or which size model you choose wil depend on the size of your boat and the likely throughput of dockwater.

Hope this is of some use.
  3. yachts4fun

yachts4fun New Member

Water softner

I have tried several and the best I have found is made by Boji www.bojifilters.com it works great and very easy to recharge also very inexpensive not like the outragous price of wetspot. I screwed up and broke one of the inlets and called Boji to ask how I could repair. They said no problem and sent me a new softner at no charge and told me to throw the first one in the garbage.It was 3 years old when I broke it! Now that is customer service!
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member