Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Looking for info on 46ft. Maxum scb

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capitanitaljoe, Feb 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capitanitaljoe

Capitanitaljoe New Member

Thinking of buying a boat and was offered a good deal on a 2001 46 ft. Maxum in San Diego, but I don't know anything about them.... If anyone knows anything I would appreciate the help.... Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maxum was the upscale brand for Bayliner. I understood that they were to be closed down by Brunswick as it directly competed with their other line (Sea Ray). I see their site is still up, so I DK if they're still in production.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran one from City Island NY to Baltimore, MD. about 2 years ago and believe it was a 2001, it had cummins diesels, I think 450hp. It was comperable to a searay, although I thought that it rode better then a similar size searay and it handled well and cruised around 24 knots if memory serves me correctly. It appeared to be built as well as a searay, if not a touch better. Other then that I can't offer much.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I had a 41 express a few years back and found it to be a great seaworthy boat. Construction was similar to Searay but layouts were much better. Mine had Cummins engines that were very fuel efficient. If I remember correctly, I cruised at about 24Knots and drank about the same P/H. I actually thought about buying the boat your looking at after the 41 but ended up buying a Viking instead.
  5. Capitanitaljoe

Capitanitaljoe New Member

Thank- you for the replies.... I will be going this weekend for a sea trial, if all goes well I will be getting a survey.. Thanks again to all of you....
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The maxim sports yachts (37 to 46) were well built and gave their cousins sea rays such a run for the money that brunswick eventually merged them into the then new Meridian line

I had a 98 3700 and had no issues with the boat. Good things like thru bolted rub rail, heavy stringer and a much better engine compartment than SR

take a look at yacht survey.com, there is a review of the 46 pretty positive. Only negative is the stanchion base but I had the same on the 38 and they withstood storm damage without a leak or crack