Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Comfort

Internal Tank Insulation

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by K1W1, Feb 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who frequents YF has ever had any dealings with anything like what I am looking for.

I a working on a project where we are going to convert a 20,000 Lt Double Bottom Fuel Tank to a 12,000 Lt Swimmng Pool retention tank, a cofferdam and all the machinery will take up the rest of the space.

Ideally I would like to be able to insulate the tank insides so we can reduce the time and amount of energy required to heat and keep heated the pool water.

I have talked to a couple of Insulation guys who seem to think I am asking the impossible but thought there was no harm in asking here as there is such a wide variety of readers maybe someone has an idea that will work.
  2. Adad

Adad New Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't think that the foam sheet action will really be practical. The tankis not a big open smoth sided void, it has frames with flanges (webs) on the top and needs to still have it's drain holes in it.

Ideally I would like to be able to find some type of spray applied insulation material that could be used to cover all the parts
  4. Adad

Adad New Member

The tank is to be used as a holding tank for pool water?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Yes it will be used to hold the charge of water when the vessel is underway, it will be circulated through the heaters and then when vessel stops will be pumped back into pool and the circulation process will continue.
  6. Adad

Adad New Member

Can you insulate the outside of the tank?
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Not on the surface that has the most contact to the sea as it is the hull surface.

Currently the only real option we have to get the pool full of warm water quickly is to increase the size of the heating plant
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Contact Stabbert in Seattle and ask who does fish hold insulation. They spray a closed cell foam on the interior of the hold and the same stuff might work. It forms a hard and smooth skin and it doesn't seem to offgas anything that flavors the contents of the tank.
  9. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

This is not terribly different from the insulated swimming pools used in skyscrapers or even over-the-road tanks. You need insulation and an inner barrel or inner liner.

Try contacting Dave Plotkin at Steelways http://steelwaysinc.com/ - they make stainless steel swimming pools for apartment buildings. He might have some worthwhile suggestions.