Click for JetForums
Click for Ferretti
Click for Trinity
Click for Burger
Click for MotorCheck
Click for Ocean Alexander
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > Reversing Gears at High Rate of Forward Speed?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Reversing Gears at High Rate of Forward Speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot
Not having been there or having looked at the parts, I can't tell you anything other than there is much more to the story than going astern.

I don't disagree. But I could only go by the "facts" as told to me by the charterer and what I saw at the time.

He would never once even entertain the idea that he had shifted the engine into reverse. Even as I said, after I found the transmission to be in reverse when I arrive on the scene.
Capt Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill11
... I found the transmission to be in reverse when I arrive on the scene.
And what kind of shift control was used? Was it a Morse cable? What direction did the actuator lever on the gearbox move to select astern?

And who is to say that in the confusion caused by the engine and shaft banging madly around the driver didn't try shifting to see if that would stop whatever was going on?

The position of the gear selector lever is probably the last thing that indicates anything about that incident.
Marmot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot
And what kind of shift control was used? Was it a Morse cable? What direction did the actuator lever on the gearbox move to select astern?

And who is to say that in the confusion caused by the engine and shaft banging madly around the driver didn't try shifting to see if that would stop whatever was going on?

The position of the gear selector lever is probably the last thing that indicates anything about that incident.
Morse cables. And the engine falling backward would not pull the cable in such a way as to put the transmission into reverse. In fact it could do the opposite.

"And who is to say that in the confusion caused by the engine and shaft banging madly around the driver didn't try shifting to see if that would stop whatever was going on?"

Don't disagree. But the charterer was adamant that he had never gone into reverse. Only chopped the throttles and gone into neutral.

Again, based on the layout of the controls, I think he "chopped" the gears. :-)
Capt Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Reversing Gears at High Rate of forward speed

Impresive photos looks like its trying to be a land rover puling something out of a ditch, didnt know the old ford had so much torque, would have thought gearbox would have suffered before mounts
captainJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainJJ
Impresive photos looks like its trying to be a land rover puling something out of a ditch, didnt know the old ford had so much torque, would have thought gearbox would have suffered before mounts
Nothing should have suffered.
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Thank God I have the pleasure of Rolls Royce ASD Z drives. I can take my 98 ft Edward J. Moran at full ahead (13 kt) to stop and start astern in the length of the vessel. She shakes an ungodly amount, but when you need it it is a life saver. We have twin EMD 12 cyl. turbo charged. fantastic for the power needed to stop on a dime
Captd13 is offline   Reply With Quote